Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Does my son need more protien? Rss

My son is 7 months old and has been on three meals a day for the last month and a half and I have been giving him the below meals:

Breakfast - 120g tin of either Apple Cereal or Semolina

Lunch - 7 ice cubes of pureed fruit mixed and a small pottle of yoghurt

Dinner - Lamb with mixed vegetables approx 5 tablespoons

He also has a breastfeed before each meal and one also about 3pm.

The last few days I have given him a piece of toast with marmite on as he seems to get a bit grizzly in the afternoons - should I give him an afternoon snack?

I read in a book that I should be feeding him 2 hot meals a day and maybe adding fruit for breakfast as well - can anyone give advice on this?

He enjoys his food and would probably eat more if I gave it to him.

Shelley , NZ, Joshua 19/10/03

if you are concerned that he is not getting enough protein, there is a cereal type product which you can buy from the healthfood shop, called 'amaranth'. This cereal has the highest level of protein of any grain and the quality better than soybean. It is very high in nutritional value and is easily digested. I give my 15 month old daughter for breakfast each morning, a little bit of porridige cooked (no sugar or milk - just oats cooked in water) then mixed with different varieties of blended fruit. With this i add about 1tsp of amaranth. I also add about a tablespoon of amaranth to my own breakfast cereal - it does not really have a taste at all and it is barely noticeable. (my daughter has not noticed it).
As for the two hot meals a day - you can do as you please, however, it is best if most of the foods we eat are raw - ie, fruit, veg etc. The reason being is because, in all foods, there are "enzymes". These enzymes are what your body requires to digest food properly. When food is cooked, the enzymes are destroyed, therefore your body is not getting this to help with the digestion. Basically, you should be aiming at 70% of your meal to be made up of raw foods, and the rest can be cooked (hot) meals. The exception being that you should always make sure that your potatoes and pumpkin are well cooked.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

back again - i forgot to mention that, i for one am very poor at having 70% of each meal being raw foods - i just aim to have either fruit or salad with each one, so we are having at least a small portion of raw foods with each meal. Would be better then nothing i suppose!

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Sign in to follow this topic