Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Help - will not eat anything but puree

Help - will not eat anything but puree Rss

Hi Mums

I have a 7 month old daughter who will not eat anything with lumps in it. She won't even eat fork mashed food - it has to be pureed.
I don't have trouble getting it into her mouth, the problem is that once its there she continually gags on it and a couple of times has actually been sick. She then refuses to eat any more.

She will eat finger food such as chicken and rusks etc which are harder and require chewing but refuses anything lumpy that I feed her.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Kristi,
I have the same problem so I'm interested in what to do. My son doesn't have any teeth yet , not sure if that has anything to do with it. As he gags on his lumpy food I've been worried about giving her anything other than a rusk to chew on. But I might try nuggets tonight.
Suggestions most welcome.
Kristy

member since 2004

Hi, my son Noah was exactly the same when he was around 7 months.
All you need to do is keep introducing them to lumpy foods and over time they gradually get use to it. Noah is now 9 months and has finally mastered the lumps.
It's important for babies to have lumpy foods as it with their speach development. All I can say is stick with it and you will get there. Goodluck.
Cheers! Lynette.
Hi Kristi

My son was exactly the same - only with lumpy foods and finger foods as well. I found he did take finger foods a lot better probably because he knew what was going into his mouth, I think they get a bit surprised when they find a lump. I used to puree meat but give my son his vegies in little pieces to feed himself. He's now 11 months old and can handle pretty much any texture. It was the same when trying different cups - nothing seemed to work then all of a sudden he seemed to 'get it'. Don't stress too much about it, if she's already able to handle finger food I wouldn't worry too much about lumpy food.

Jasmine
Sign in to follow this topic