Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

frozen vegies yucky Rss

in the past i have made big batch of pureed vegies and then frozen them in containers. but when i defrost them its all lumpy and watery and my daughter wont eat it and i dont blame her the texture is not very pleasant.

does this happen to everyone else or am i doing something wrong??

thanx

Cheryl,SA,Danika born 24.10.03 Matthew born 5.3.05

Hiya,

Have to admit i have had a bit of this problem too lately. Fortunately my son pretty much eats anything.

Anyhow, i have learnt to mix with a fork now, as the spoon still leaves cold patches. Arter the first big mix i then put it back for 10 secs in the microwave.

Best of luck,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Danika's mum

I found this happened to me when I left a bit of water in the vegies when I pureed them. It seemed really thick so I added some of the cooking water to thin it but when I defrosted it the water separated out and it looked disgusting. After that if it was ever a bit thick I'd freeze it anyway and thin it with water or milk after defrosting.

Hope this helps
Jasmine
Hi Cheryl,
When I defrost my son's veggies they tend to be a bit watery but after a good mix together they seem fine. I too like Tepe put them back in to warm up a bit more so they're warm. Plus I have to add tomato sauce so my son will eat his veggies, otherwise he eats 2 mouthfuls and refuses anymore (his dad was like this until he was about 5).
Kristy

member since 2004

Hi there,

I simply don't freeze my toddlers vegies. I make an effort to see that she eats them fresh every day. I know this isn't possible for everyone... but just remember if it isn't appealing to you, how can it be appealing to your baby / toddler?
I drain the water out of mine and really heat them up well being careful to cool down before giving them to him. But he too is being fussy with food and seems to only really like Heinz steak and veg. Which doesnt even taste nice. He has been protesting against my potato and tuna with creamed corn, also reluctantly has a few spoonfuls of my pumpkin with mince, zuchini and carrot concoction which if I dont mind saying is really yummy and I wouldnt mind having that for my dinner. Dinner time is very stressful at the moment and cant wait till it passes over. Im blaming this on teething.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi there,
I was experiencing similar problems with my son. He loved his veges then all of a sudden the last few weeks he went off them. The only thing that tempted the old taste buds and got him eating again was to add some fruit such as stewed pear or apple or one of the tinned baby fruits. Sounds gross I know but he now gobbles it up.
If the veges are a little runny I generally add a little baby cereal such as Farex or Heinz baby museli to it, and if need be, a bit of breast milk or formula. This really works for him.
I was worried that he was only getting sweet tasting meals so I also save a bit of my dinner each night and heat it up for lunch the next day. All I have to do is pretend to eat it and he immediatley comes over and wants to "share" what I'm having. Things like steamed fish, creamy and tomato pasta, rice dishes and soups.
I don't mind how he eats it, as long as I'm not forcing him, he is getting the proper nutrients and he's enjoying it, then I'm happy!
Good luck!
Laura, baby 10months

Laura DS July 03, DD Oct 05, DD Nov 08

i too make my sons veges, meat and chicken in big batches and store them in the freezer in ice cube trays.

I have discovered the lovely world of tupperware and they sell ice cube trays with plastic lids. Once all the trays are filled i store in the freezer with the lid on and pop out a cube as i need them.

I have never ever had any problems with watery/runny veges and i dont know if its the trays or just a fluke.

the trays are $32.95 for two (seems very expensive, but if for long term use not bad considering a tin of food is $1.00)

xxx michelle

michelle, mom to maxwell (11.03) & isaac (10.05)

I only have this watery problem when reheating potato. But I generally mix 3 vegies (this way he gets a different mix every night) and when you heat them up, give a good mix and then zap again they're fine. Even I don't mind it but I must admit the potato is pretty yuk so I grate some cheese or add some cottage cheese and it's fine.

Bett, NSW, 2 boys & Twins 19.2.08

Hiya Flinstones,

I agree on the potato thing, as of late i have been using lots of sweet potato, along with all the normal veges. You saying this makes me realise, it is the extra addition of the potato!

Another idea for adding to the veges, is soya cream cheese. Found in the chilled section of most supermarkets. If you are like me, and always looking for variety!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Tepe,
I too must admit that sweet potato is much better, I'm actually steaming some up right now LOL (While he's asleep, it's too hard otherwise because he goes everywhere now he's crawling and pulling himself up on everything smile ) Also the sweet potato doesn't seem to be sooo yucky as the white potato is. I know I tend to use more of the sweet potato then the other potato.
The soya cream cheese sounds good I'm going to the shops today so I'll have a look for it.

Bett, NSW, 2 boys & Twins 19.2.08

Hi,

I don't have any problems with freezing my vegies and I use both Tupperware ice cube trays and freezer mates (also tupperware). They taste fine (except potato) to me after I heat them up in the microwave. I have found potato does taste terrible after freezing. From now on if we have mashed potato, I will keep some aside and put it in the fridge and give it to her the next day.

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Sign in to follow this topic