Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. refusing milk.....URGENT HELP!!!

refusing milk.....URGENT HELP!!! Rss

Hi,
My son is 10 months old and up until 1 week ago was being breastfed. Until one morning he woke up and decided he no longer wanted his milk or any other fluids. This went on for a worrying 48 hours. We sort out medical advice and found there was nothing medically wrong, apart from the fact he is cutting his eye tooth. In the mean time we have tried him on expressed milk (which is hard to do seeing as though my supply has dropped dramatically to 40mls every 3 hours, which is so depressing)and formula both from a bottle and a cup, but he just doesn't seem interested.(He waves his arms around trying to push it away). We are lucky if he has 150mls a day and thats with 100mls of that going onto his cereal. If anyone could possibly offer me advice as to what we can do to encourage him to drink his milk again I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm at my wits end and am feeling very rejected as I was hoping to continue breast feeding until he was 2 years old.
I'm desperate, please help...
Cheers!
Lynette.
Hi Lynette,

Hopefully your son is just going thru a stage because of his teething. I know my son went off his veges for about a week when he cut his 2 teeth.

Try not to give up on your plans of BF till 2. Keep expressing, as often as you can, even if you get up quickly in the middle of the night (this worked best for me). If he is not drinking it, store some in the freezer.

Look after yourself, have some extra fluids, and put your feet up a bit more if possible. Oh, and TRY not to worry too much!

Best of luck, let us know how you go,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

I have just been severely ill, and my milk supply dropped drastically due to lack of food/fluids, as it wouldn't stay down. I rang the breastfeeding association who told me to increase my daughter's food intake, and milk will build itself up again. She said that people can relactate up to 3 weeks after a baby has stopped feeding, and this is sometimes done if the mother has to have an operation, and so it's not too late for your supply to be built up again. Hang in there, I'm planning to feed my baby til she turns 2, also. I just wish more people would do the same. If in doubt, call the breatfeeding association. The number should be in your local phone book.

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Do you think you may be eating something different that is affecting the taste of your milk?? Sometimes things like chocolate can be really yuk for babies thru the breast milk.
Hi Storm,

Just wondering how things are going!

Is your bubba drinking better now?

Take care,

Tepe

Hi Tepe,
Things have been so, so. Noah never did go back on to the breast, much to my dissapointment. But I've finally accepted it.(Well sort of). Which I found extremely hard to do.
Good news though he has finally started to take a bottle, although he will only have 120mls 3x a day. Which concerns me, I thought they needed 200mls+ 3x daily. The whole formula thing confuses me. And is a pain in the bum.... Oh well guess I just have to learn to deal with it.
Thanks for your concern. I hope things are well with you.
Cheers!
Lynette.
Hi Lynette,

Just take your son for what he is....don't follow the labels on the formular tin. My daughter only drank 350ml max on the best of days at your sons age! I know this as i wrote down everything she consumed till she was 15 months....as i was so concerned at the time. Her biggest bottle was about 80ml, and that would excite me. And as i said, this was when she was nearly 1.

As for giving up breastfeeding, i also understand, it is sad when it is your bubs decision.

Take care,

Tepe

Hi storm
ive been having the same trouble for the last 4 days and the most she has had in a day is 180mls.she normally has 850mls a day. (both water and formula)shes still eating breakfast and dinner tho. i took her to the doctors and he said that if she doesnt wee for 8-12hrs then we have to take her to hospital for dehydration, bit shes still doing wee's so im not overly worried...........yet.
shes 8mths old 2day. and shes getting her top front teeth and she got a cold so i think it all links in.

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Sign in to follow this topic