Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Attn: Mums of 8 - 11 month olds Rss

Hi mums, I was hoping to get some feedback about the timing of feeds for your little one, i.e. what time does your bub have their milk and solids, do you give milk or solids first and how much time do you allow in between? How much milk are they drinking and what sorts of food do they eat? I particularly have trouble coming up with ideas for lunch as my little girl turns her nose up at vegies and prefers finger foods (however I'm not convinced that they fill her up).

My little one is 9 months old and has 4 bottles (but is in the process of dropping the 4th). Her bottles are 180ml (most times she drinks it all) but I have been told to try to increase the amount of milk she drinks and to bring her milk and solids closer together. I just find the whole food issue very frustrating at times. Any feedback welcome smile

Kim, Qld, 9 mth girl

Hi there. I have a 10 month old boy. Breakfast is uaually 8.00am to 8.30 am which is cereal. Bottle is about 1 hour to hour and a half later. If I give it sooner he wont drink all of it. He has 200ml of water with 4x 50 ml scoops which makes it 230ml. he has lunch at 12.30pm and has 1 slice of vegimite toast and fruit. Then at about 2.30pm it is bottle. Dinner is at 6.00pm ( vegatables) with bottle being at 7.30 pm. This works for us.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi,

My son is 8 months old and usually has his breakfast (cereal) around 7.30am with 200ml bottle around 1/2 hour later, then lunch of vegies and a custard or yoghurt at 11.30 or 12.00 with a bottle and a bottle at 3.30 to get him through to dinner at 5.30 of meat and vegies and fruit and his last bottle around 7.00 then gets him off to bed around 7.30pm.

I have not tried him on any finger food yet as my clinic nurse said to wait until around 9 months, I have given him rusks but he is not really interested.

Tracy

Tracy NSW, 2 boys, 4 and 2

Hi there,
Making sure your bub gets all the right nutrients and amounts can be frustrating and worrying, I agree.
My little man is almost one. He has breakky at around 7:30 (cereal) then a breast feed around half hour later.
He will sometimes, but not always have a mid morning snack. Some of the snacks he likes are, yoghurt, cheese, corn cakes or rice cakes with vegemite, cruskits with cream cheese or cottage cheese, toast, pieces of pear, banana or watermelon, dried apple, prunes or apricot (didn't offer these until recently and I made them in to smaller pieces, bit worried about choking). The odd finger food he likes that I thought "there's no way he will eat this, but I'll give it a go" was different tins of the bean family like cannelini beans, kidney beans, butter beans and even enjoyed the tinned lentils, which were hard for him to pick up off the high chair tray but good for his fine motor I guess. Strange what they like and dislike.
He also went through a no vege stage until I started adding some fuit to the vege. Sounds gross I know but he loved it. A bit of pear and a bit of formula mixed in with the vege was his favorite.
My clinic nurse said to offer solids first then follow after with a bottle/breast but I always found he fed better if I waited a half hour or just when he was ready for sleep.
All the stuff I have read and nurse recommend that babies 6-12 months need 600-700mls of milk a day.
Anyway, I've waffled on a lot but I hope this has helped.

Laura DS July 03, DD Oct 05, DD Nov 08

Sorry, just realised that I didn't finish his meals times.
He has lunch at around 12:30 which is either veges or fruit with a bit of cereal mixed, and then a breast feed around an hour later or before his arvo sleep.
He then will sometimes but not always have a arvo snack if not dinner is about 5:30, if he does snack he's usually not hungry until about 6:00ish. Dinner is either vege or fruit and cereal, depending on which he had for lunch, then he has a bit of whatever I have for dinner. He then has a last breast feed before bed at around 6:30 or 7:00.
I find the best thing is at least they always let you know when they're hungry and full.
Good luck.

Laura DS July 03, DD Oct 05, DD Nov 08

My girl is 10mths old. I am flat out getting 500ml of formula in her a day. She is so over it!
I always give her the bottle before solids as I thought she would be too full after solids to take all the milk??
6.30am - 150ml formula
7.15am - Farex muesli
10.30am - 100ml formula then Golburn Valley Apple/Pear puree or some banana or yoghurt
2.30pm - 150ml formula and snack of one of the above
6.00pm - 150ml formula then mashed veges and chicken.
Sometimes she doesn't always drink all the formula.

If I cut down to 3 bottles per day, she wont have any more than 150ml each time.

I can't wait until she is 12 mths old and dont have to worry about all the formula drama!!!!
I forgot to say the she goes to bed between 7.00 - 7.30pm and doesnt wake until after 6am.
Sign in to follow this topic