Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Solids or milk first? Rss

Hi all,
My Daughter has been on solids (rice cereal, fruit & Vegies) twice a day since she was 16weeks due to poor weight gain, she is now 6 months, and just started to have lunch and my clinic nurse has advised me that her meals need to be swapped around so that she has her solids first then a breast feed, I have been doing this for a week now and she takes the three meals fine but is not interested in her breast feed after her meal & I am worried that she may go back to the poor weight gain situation.
She eats more solids if she has them first, however I feel she should be having both to keep up.
Any advise/ideas would be greatly appreciated
I am having the same sort of issues with my son, who is 7 months. Except, I was always told to give him solids first, then milk. Which doesn't appear to be working. Because he eats his solids, then a few hours later, wants another bottle. As I am trying to reduce his bottle feeds and increase his solids, it gets a little bit frustrating. He wants a bottle first thing in the morning, but he also wants one just before bed, which i don't have a problem with. It's during the day that I have hassles. Some days are better than others.

Shell, 21yrs, Brisbane

My advise having been there already is to wait until 8 or 9 months before giving solids first. When my baby hit 8 months I gave solids first then milk an hour or even longer. That way they will drink it better.
As for a bottle before bed I think that is quite normal. What I do is after they wake from thier afternoon sleep let them play for an hour or so then give solids(dinner) then bath then bottle or breast. Works for me.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

I have tried to give him solids, then wait out an hour or so before giving him a bottle. But within 20mins, he is screaming for a bottle. So, I'm worried about him gaining too much weight (7 Months - 80cm - 10.2Kg).

Shell, 21yrs, Brisbane

My daughter is now 6 months old and i give her milk first then solids. This works for me and she is satisfied at the end of each meal. She is on 3 meals a day and i don't need to give her an extra bottle before bed. My advise is to try both ways and see which suits your baby best.

Louise VIC

Thanks everyone for your help
I am now giving everything a try to see what works best!
Sign in to follow this topic