Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. help me... i dont know what to do

help me... i dont know what to do Rss

My baby girl is 5 months old and im trying to get her started on solids but because i am breastfeeding she always falls asleep at the boob so how do i give her solids after a milk feed if she is asleep? please help me anybody

Jessica, mum to baby Bonnie, NSW

Hi Bonnies mum

I would try giving her very runny Farex before feeding her, if she keeps on falling asleep this would be the only solution I can think of. If she is hungry prior to a feed I am sure she will take the Farex off a spoon, just keep on perserving with her. My little girl nearly screams the house down at about 8pm every night as she waits for her tea at that time.

Shelley

S Brooks, Hobart

thanx i will try that

Hi Bonnie's mum

Maybe your little girl isn't ready for solids yet - is that a possibility? Is she gaining weight?

From what you have told us, she sounds like one of those darling sleepy babies that may not need the extra energy requirements.

If your baby is gaining sufficient weight, maybe you can put off solids for a week or four (you have until 6 months to start to introduce solids).

I tried to postpone feeding my little one solids till 6 months but she was born alert and has been constantly burning up the calories which required the extra nutrients so I begun solids at 5months.

Otherwise, I would have to agree to try a few teaspoons of watery plain farex/Heinz baby cereal (made by the same company) before a breastfeed.

Let us know how it goes.

Daniella, Sydney, 15 month old

my health nurse said you have up until about 8 mths to start solids (after that they can get iron deficient) and breast fed babied tend to start solids later apparently so maybe just hold off until she seems to be needing more.... she sounds very content at this stage

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Thanx to everyone who has replied i am just going to wait a week or so before offering anymore and i am also going to speak to a health nurse about it too.

hi bonnies mum.
is she taking to solids yet or she still sleepin at the boob?
just curious as to how things panned out for you?

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

hi,
yeah she is taking solids now she has 3 meals a day but i still have to feed her asleep because she just doesnt know how to go to sleep by herself and im not the type for controlled crying cause it makes me anxious that i cant go in to settle her so i have no idea how im going to stop it.

a friend of mine b/f both her babies to sleep until they were weaned off at 12mths.
i guess you will do what you can cope with and whatever you choose to do will be the right choice.

my daughter was b/f and then it was like she grew out of it or something. i guess what i am saying is that bubs told me what she wanted rather than me trying to do something that was going to stress us both out.

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Sign in to follow this topic