Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

11 weeks old. Solids??? Lock Rss

hi,
My little girl is 11 weeks old and I have just started her on rice cereal. Last night she was still hungry after having both breasts and was crying heaps. I gave her just a little and she gobbled it right up, didnt spit it out or anything. Am I doing the wrong thing? I know that the recommended age is 4 months but if milk just isnt enough what are you supposed to do? ( I have a really good milk supply, no shortages in that department.) Thanks smile

Hi,

I would phone your Maternal and Child Health Nurse and seek her advice asap. The major reason for delaying solids until a baby is between 4-6months is because a baby's immune system isn't fully developed and as a result lifelong food allergies can be the result.

I don't mean to scare you I just think you should seek professional advice.

i'm no expert but i think its fine. ive been giving my son solids since 6 weeks and he is a very happy healthy baby. he is a big boy, born 10lbs.1oz so he eats alot. sometimes the bottle just isnt enough. as long as she is enjoying eating it and is managing with swallowing without choking on her food and her body is not reacting badly to it, i dont see anything wrong with it. dont feel so bad, you havent done the wrong thing.

hi casey7
they say giving a baby solids before six months increases the chances of weight problem later in life,i dont know how true that is .maybe a formula around dinner time might fill her up a little more,with all three of mine i tried to leave it till six months but always felt guilty them watching us eat,so a little here and there cant hurt,my 13 year old is 6'3 and doesnt have an ounce of fat on him,
chris

chris wa 1yr, 2yrs 14 yr

Hi Casey7
I started both my boys on solids at 6 weeks. My sister also had all 4 of hers on solids between 7-10wks. I spoke to my GP about it and she said that as long as theyyou dont reduce their formula/breastmilk then it is ok..
i would not stress i strated trey on solids at 12 weeks and he was on 3 solid meals at 5 months. every baby is diffrent and some need it and some don't. i was really unsure weather to start trey or not but than i cauld remeber it was not that long ago when they said to start solids at 4 months and no later, so if she liked it than she is obviously ready. don't stress about it to much.
hi casey7, it sounds like you've found something that's working well and have heaps of support. yay.

introducing solids early isn't for everyone though. overall in our community the incidence of food allergies is rising, so is the number of people battling with obesity and related conditions such as diabetes. research seems to indicate that early introduction of solids ma ybe a *risk factor*.
this doesn't mean that these things will affect everyone that does it, only that there's a chance that it might.

little babies do have an immature gut, hence why so many bubs have trouble with wind pain and reflux. there little tums are just learning how to digest, and still can have trouble with the food designed especially for bubs, breastmilk. some crying is pretty normal, especially inthe evenings. i often settled into the couch for a loong feed time and would go from breast to breast and back again, our breasts are never completely empty so it's ok to stick bubs back on the first one again.

happy mum happy bub, you know what your bubs needs better than anyone else so happy mothering smile

mum of 3 girls

Hi casey7,

I've been questioning whether or not to start my 12 week old DD on solids. So i asked my mum about it and she told me that my little sister was on Farex from 8 weeks and she grew up with no allergies or weight problems. She said that i can start my DD on Farex too, but water it down a so its the consistency of formula and continue from there, starting at 1 teaspoon on the first day, 2 on the second and so on. She also said that you can try baby custard in the afternoons, just a teaspoon with the chill taken of it.
And seeing as my mum's raised 3 kids with no allergies or weight problems, then i'm inclined to take her advice.
Hope this helps a little.

Sign in to follow this topic