Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Solids first than milk now for 8mth old????

Solids first than milk now for 8mth old???? Lock Rss

Hi there,
I waas instructed by my health care nurse to reverse the feeding...so instead of bottle first than solids later is now the othetr way around...ive been trying to do it this way but it doesnt seem to work out this way...???
As Miki wakes between 6-7am than ive tried giving her solids than bottle than she has a sleep around 9am but will only sleep for 45mins - 1 hour..than i give her more solids but shouldnt i give her bottle afterwards but because she only sleeps for short periods of time the feedings are all out of wack and her next bottle is at around 1am when she is normally asleep???So then when she wakes up shes thirsty so i give her bottle than solids?Are you meant to stick to the solids giving first before the bottle???Would it be ok to give her the bottle first in the morning as it seems along time during the night without fluids and she fully scoofs it downs(as she normally mucks around with the bottle and isnt interested in it thats why in the last couple of days i have cut one of her bottles down-she had 4 botlles instead of 5).
I hope i have explained it right!!
If anyone has any advice that would be great..
bec.

Bec,VIC,MIKI 16/7/05 JELLYBEAN EDD 24/8/07

You have explained it right. Out of curiosity, what is your CHN's reasoning behind instructing you to do it that way?

I found I was contantly tweaking when I gave DD milk and solids from the time she started (6 months) till probably about a month ago (10 months). It took me that long to get us all into a nice little routine.

I think if things dont work, then try some-thing different. Don't be too worried what your CHN, the books or even friends say you should be doing. Miki is the one that has the final say really - LOL. There is no hard and fast rule as you will see from responses to your thread - every body does some-thing different - but it all works for their bubs (in the end).

I found what worked for me was giving DD solids in between feeds. For example, she would have milk in the morning about 7am. Then a solid breakfast (rice cereal/fruit etc) about 8am then some more milk around 9am before a morning nap.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Bec,

If she wakes that early I am positive that she should have her bottle first!

If she woke at 8 or 9 than you would do solids first!
Helpful?

Hi Bec

I find that my bub is very hungry first thing in the morning so this is my routine:

6:00-6:30am - breastfeed (after 12 hours of him sleeping I'm pretty full so it's kinda urgent! LOL),
7:00-7:30am - solids with water
10:00-10:30am - formula with small snack
12:30-1:00pm - solids with water
3:00-3:30pm - formula with small snack
6:00-6:30pm - solids & breastfeed (I do them right after each other for the last feed as bub is veerrrry tired by then and needs to get to bed pronto).

I go with the flow and it works well. I was never told to do solids/milk in a particular order, I just worked it out based on bub's own natural routine and as long as he has enough naps (3-4 p/day) and enough to eat and drink he's happy. I have heard that it's important for the solids to be the main source of nutrition by 9 months (my bub's age), which has happened naturally with my little man. He sees the container of food and gets very excited and is equally excited by his sippy cup of milk too. So it's all good!

Tracy, QLD, Nathaniel born 27 June 2005

Sign in to follow this topic