Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Commercial cheese sticks - what age can you give them to your baby?

Commercial cheese sticks - what age can you give them to your baby? Rss

Hi all

Just wondering if any of you have tried giving your little one cheese sticks and at what age? Is it too early to give them to an 8.5 month old?

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Hi Lili,

I have just been going thru my baby food book, and there are lots of recipes for 6 month plus with cheese in it.

I started giving my son cheese slices, broken into fingers at about 8-9 months. They are a lot cheaper, but must be kept in the refigerator. It is still his favourite finger food!

Goodluck, and if you do go for it, let us know how it went,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi tepe

Thanks for your response. I have been giving her grated cheese and also ricotta and cottage cheese. The thing is, I wanted to try the cheese sticks as a finger food but I am worried she will chew too much off and choke..! Is she too young or does it depend on the baby rather than the age?

Hi again,

I was really worried about choking first time round! I use to break it into tiny pieces for my daughter, and let her feed herself that piece, as she got better, the pieces got bigger.

Yes it is definately an indervidual thing, they are 'allowed' to have it, just some babies are better breaking up the food than others!

Take care,

Tepe

Thanks again! I'll try breaking them into pieces as you suggested! This whole finger food thing is really scaring me...but I suppose you just have to let them try otherwise they will be eating puree food until they are adults...ha ha!

....or worse still, my 3 yo still has jars of babyfood as it's the way i KNOW she has had some veges! I have even tried to imitate the meal and put it back into a clean jar, but no that didn't work!

Goodluck,

Tepe

That's funny! These babies are alot smarter than we think!!

I bravely tried the Kraft Cheese Spread Sticks yesterday and Gabriella LOVED it. I broke it up into pieces and let her feed herself. She couldn't stop grinning like a maniac! I'll wait a while before I give the whoel thing and she will just stuff it all into her mouth at once....ah the joys of feeding!

Just to throw my two cents worth in - Have you tried the kraft cheese wedges instead of the cheese sticks? They are a bit fidddly to open and you'll have to break them up, but they are a lot more economical than the sticks. There are cheaper varieties available too. Maybe worth a try if you're budget conscious.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi Lily and everyone else!

That's a good idea Nyrrek, i might try them myself! One thing i found with the cheaper varieties though, was, there was less calcium or worse still, no nutritional info at all. (I have a feeling the laws have changed recently, so they may have the info on them now).

Glad to hear your little one enjoyed the cheese, my son LOVES it too!

Take care,

Tepe

Good suggestion Nyrrek - I will definitely look out for the cheese wedges next time I'm at the supermarket!

Didn't think about the nutritional content - definately worth a comparison I think. Good thinking.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Sign in to follow this topic