If your DS isn't accepting rice cereal, try avacado as a first food. It's actually a common misconception that rice cereal is the perfect first food and can actually cause constipation in babies.
Here is a little section from the Wholesome Baby Foods website;
Best first food for baby - alternatives to baby rice
There are a range of other foods that may make a good alternative to baby rice as a first food. Remember, though, that not all foods are suitable for all babies and you should check with your doctor first, as he is familiar with your baby's family history.
* Homemade rice cereal using brown rice is more nutritious than most commercial cereals, which are usually made with white rice.
* Oatmeal (porridge) or barley cereal (these may contain traces of gluten and may not be suitable for babies under 6 months of age). You can see our baby oatmeal recipes here.
* As discussed earlier in this article, meat is now considered by many to be an appropriate choice for baby's first food. See How to Introduce Meat to Baby for more information.
* Bananas - creamy, sweet and nutritious, they make a superb first food. Read our Banana Baby Food information and recipes here.
* Avocado - we call it 'nature's perfect baby food'. Find out why!
* Apples or pears - nutritious fruits that are gentle on the tummy, apples and pears are popular first choices for baby.
* Sweet potato - one of the healthiest foods on the planet, sweet potato is steadily growing in popularity as a nutritious first food. Read out sweet potato baby good guidelines and recipes here
* Butternut squash - packed with nutrients, butternut squash cooks to a wonderful texture for baby food. Read our butternut squash information and cooking tips here
* Carrots - a popular first food, carrots are high in beta-carotene and easy to digest. See our homemade carrot baby food recipes here
Ultimately, the choice of the best first food for YOUR baby is yours to make, under the guidance of your pediatrician.
Whilst this article does not provide all of the answers, we hope that it has given you some useful information to help you make the best choice for your child... and to realize that baby rice cereal is not the ONLY first food available to your little one, but is merely one of a range of alternatives.
And here is a link for you to find more about avacado as a first food;