Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Foods more lumpy, Baby's grumpy Rss

Morning Everyone,
I am having a problem going from the puree to more lumpy stage. When I cook exactly the same foods but just mash them instead of puree, he has about 2 spoonfuls, then clamps his lips together. I kept on for a few days, thinking he would get hungry enough to just scoff it but with no results. He has had a bit of a cold and is teething so I wondered if that was the problem. DH suggested going back to puree to see if he would eat that, and he wolfed it down.
He loves to eat finger foods and has no problem chewing (well gumming) stuff, but gags and spits out the more lumpy offerings.
Please let me know if you have solved this problem? I am a bit worried because the CHN told me that they need to get onto this more lumpy food as they can get lazy and not be bothered to chew. I am wondering if I should just not bother with the mash stage and stick with puree for a bit then go straight onto small versions of our food, cut into tiny pieces?

Jen and 13mth Harvey

That is great your bub is doing well with finger food. I think you are doing things right, it might just take your bubs a bit longer to adjust to the change. Have you tried half puree / half mashed (then mixed)? I used that as the inbetween from puree to lumpy, seemed to work quite well. There were still lumps, but they were a lot silkier (if that makes sense) so DD didn't seem to mind. May not work with your bub.

I think its important to do lumpy (mashed) - not just straight to cut up, however, if your bub takes to cut up stuff - then that is great. They are all so different so its a little hard to say. I do think the quicker you can get them onto mashed/lumpy/chunks - the easier it is. Best of luck !

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi Jenni,
Well I was just reading about this very thing only 30 mins ago in my "Baby Love" book by Robin Barker. She says the gag reflex in babies is strong until they are 12 months old, and she feels uneccessary pressure is put on parents to introduce more lumpy foods, so babies "learn to chew". She also says babies need the main part of their meal ground up until they are 12 months old, but offer them finger foods as well (which you are already doing, well done), as they are able to control their gag reflex more when they are eating finger foods than when being fed by a spoon.
With my daughter I pushed her to eat foods with more texture, but this time around, if bub wants to eat his food softer for a bit longer, I'm not going to push him. I think variety of ingredients and nutrients are more important than us worrying about the texture!
Hope this helps.

Kellie, mum to Emily 4yo, and Jack 21mths

Sign in to follow this topic