Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Cooking apples Rss

Hello mums out there!

My little Marina loves her fruit. I have tried to cook a couple of types of apples but, unfortunately, I was not pleased with the results. I know Granny Smiths are the best apples for cooking, but they are too sour for my little baby. I then tried Fujis, that claim to be the sweetest, but they were too dry! What kinds of apples do you use for cooking and for freezing for your babies' meals?

Evia, 2nd time mum

Hi Evia,

I use organic red delicious or gala apples, and cook them in the microwave - after coring & pricking them with a fork. 2 mins on high for a smallish apple, 3 mins for a large apple. After cooking, allow to cool then quarters and mash flesh with a fork, it will then separate very easily from the skin. I use roughly mashed apples with yoghurt (full fat, 'plain' organic/bio-dynamic), or added to porridge for a yummy breakfast (after cooking).

The apple freezes well in ice cube trays; defrost 1min at 30% power for one cube.

You can do larger quantities, remembering that in the microwave you use the "base time" (say 3 mins on high), then add half the time again for each extra item - 2 apples = 4 1/2 min, 3 = 6 mins.

Hope this is useful info!

Prosit,
Ruby
Hi Evia

I use red delicious apples and I steam them as they seem to keep their moisture rather than the microwave. My little one loves it. Hope this helps

Annette WA mummy to Keisha 080304 & Thehan 200307

Thank you Nettiem and Princess Ruby. I will try the red delicious ones too. I also steam all of my fruit and vegetables, since it's the best way to keep all the nutrients in the foods.

Evia, 2nd time mum

i used braeburn last time - but i always add a pear too...
Hi Marina,

I use Royal Gala apples. They are pretty sweet and come out great. I peel and core them and then chop them up pretty thinly. I then just put them in a saucepan with a small amount of water and stew them for a while stiring occassionaly. My baby girl loves them.

Once cooked I process them a bit for my baby as she's not quite ready for lumps yet and then I put them into ice cube trays and freeze. When I defrost them if they are a bit too watery I add a teaspoon of rice cereal to thicken it up which also gives her extra iron as well.

Good luck
its so delicious thanks so much
u can get many recipes here on : http://eeasydinnerrecipes.blogspot.com/

http://eeasydinnerrecipes.blogspot.com

Sign in to follow this topic