Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Regular solid meals at 6 months.

Regular solid meals at 6 months. Rss

My daughter is 6 months old and has 4 bottle feeds a day and a small bowl of vegies with her lunchtime bottle. I am abit unsure as to whether she should be having more solid meals throughout the day or if one is enough at this stage. She seems content on the amount she is taking in with bottles and solids, but should she be having more?

Thanks

Alison

Alison, Vic, Abby 2.5 yrs, Poppy 5 mths

Hi Alison,
I'd say if she seems content with what she's having, then she's probably having enough solids for now. I found with my daughter that she really didn't start eating much solids until I started to give solids before bottle rather than after, and I think they don't recommend giving solids first until 9or 10months or something like that.

If she's happy, the milk is good for her (she should have lots of it to help her bones anyway), and she will just gradually get more of an appetite for solids.

Hope this helps,

Georgina
it also depends whether you started her at 6 mths on solids or whether she has been having solids since say 4 mths?

Try her with a breakfasty time meal in the morning she may gobble that up but not want her vegies later on so you would know then one meal is doing her ok. Also I guess it depends on how much she is moving around.

I know we don't feed our bubs much as it is but are they expending enough energy for all that food - then again lots of that engery would go to growing their bodies and stuff - and in Bennett's case lots of energy is expended by being cheeky smile

Love Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi Alison

My daughter Emma is also 6 months old. I began giving her solids when she was about 5 months.

At first I began with the good ol rice cereal which she loves. I then started adding pureed fruit to it. She was content with this for about the first month. After speaking with the CAFHS nurse, she suggest I start giving her a solids meal for dinner before her last bottle and so we did.

Emma now has her cereal, or fruit, or a combination of both for breakfast before her first bottle, and then for dinner before her last bottle she is having another meal of solids, usually something like pumpkin and sweetcorn, or lamb and vegetables from the Heinz range. She quite happily gobbles down the whole jar full and would probably eat more if I let her.

Having the extra solid meal didnt affect her bottles either. She is still having her 4 bottles a day.

Hope this helps.

Tracy, SA, DD 15/3/04 & TTC #2

Sign in to follow this topic