Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. PLEASE HELP BUBS PULLING FACES!!!

PLEASE HELP BUBS PULLING FACES!!! Rss

Hi, can anyone explain to me is it normal for babys to pull faces when trying to feed them solids? my 5 month old girl has been on solids for the last 2 1/2 weeks but every time i feed her her meals she pulls funny faces and sometimes gags on it. Does this mean she is not real fussed on the flavour or is that what all babies do when first trying something new????
Hi there, not too sure why our baby is pulling faces, it could be that she is not used to feeding from a spoon? Does she pull faces anyother time of the day or just specific to meal time? My little one pulls faces when it her solids are a bit too hot,or a bit too cold or a bit too tart or a bit too sour or i haven't got the nice tasting combination of veggies right....fussy little creatures aren't they? I guess as long as she is eating the food it is ok.Are you buying pre-made food or making it yourself? The gagging is normal and a good sign that they can protect their airways, though it can be scary at times. It is a big learning curve for you both and you are doing a great job. Hope this sort of helps, i the very least you are not the only one that faces this!

SJ
I am giggling at your thread, that is so cute. To be honest, I wouldn't be worried about your bub pulling faces - I think that is quite normal. Their taste buds are so new, not damaged like ours after years of abuse (so to speak). Even the most bland of food, like farex, is a huge taste explosion for them. On top of that, they have this new texture in their mouth - its totally weird to them.

I remember my nephew having sherbert for the first time - I will never, ever forget his face, it was priceless. DD can pull some beauties these days as she is trying all sorts of new things these days. She had frozen yoghurt last week and was amazed with the cold feeling, didn't know what was going on.

As for the gagging, I've not had a lot of exposure to it. I was one of the lucky ones in that DD took to solids really well. There is a lot of other mummies that have had serious gagging issues so I am sure they will pop in and give you some more information.

Best of luck !

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi mg21 when Jaye first started to have solids she use to pull all these wired looks and choke sometime but its only because they a getting use to solids and how to sollow the food and process the whole thing and Jaye still pulls faces and she is 11 months old now and but its funny when it cames to have dinner cause they have this big grin on their faces and make noises everytime you put food into theirs mouths.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Lillie did this when i first started her on solids and still ocassionally does it whn i try a new food
xxx

Lillie....1 year old!!!

Sign in to follow this topic