Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Veggies before Fruit Rss

I've heard that its a good idea to get bubs used to veggies first, as fruit is a bit sweeter. My DS is 4 1/2 months & have just started him on some solids as he is hardly drinking his bottles. I give him the banana & pear Farex in the morning. I've tried a few times to give him some carrot but he refuses to eat it. Should I just keep going with the Farex or maybe try some puree apples, or do I persist with the veg?
Hi Shar,

I would persist with the vegies as I too heard that if you start them on sweet things they get use to the sweet taste and it is hard to get them on to blander foods (vegies).. Perservere, as it will take a few days.. Saying this though, my little one struggled with his vegies too, so after a week I alternated fruit and veg and he eventually took both.... He now still has his moments with both but I am finding it all trial and error....
Hope this helps....

Kezz

Kezz, Qld,Maddy 11, Jai 3 & Mia 7 weeks

I actually started Amy on Fruit first as she hated the farex and then introduced veges and we had no probs. I started with Pears and Apples and then added Sweet Potato then pumpkin and then carrot. Try the sweet potato first it has a nicer taste than carrot ( I think). It is all experimenting and seeing their likes and dislikes. Good luck

Jx

Jilly, Qld, Mum to Amy 14/12/05 & Rebecca 20/7/07

I never had a problem with DD, mind you, was doing fruit in the morning and veggies at night - so she kind of got both I suppose. One suggestion I have for the carrot is to mix it in with the farex. Farex is quite neutral so you can mix sweet fruit or savour veg with it - and still make a tasty meal. I found that was a great way to introduce food gradually, as DD didn't get shocked by the new taste/texture. I would gradually mix less farex - kind of sneaky like - lol. The only problem with that for you is maybe using plain farex if you are mixing other things into it.

As your DS is young, I wouldn't be too worried or in any kind of hurry. You are only using solids to teach your baby to eat, so don't panic if he doesn't take to certain flavours or textures straight away. I think, keep it simple and fun - if he isn't interested that day, no drama - try again the next day.

Best of luck !

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

With my 7 month old daughter, I started with fruit with cereal for breakfast and then vegies for dinner. Initially I tried potatoes, sweet potatoes (kumara), pumpkin then carrots. I am now moving on to zucchini and other greens. Sometimes, I will give her some pureed fruit for dessert after dinner. Hope this helps.

Charmaine(Ashleigh 7 y.o. and Caitlin 4/10/05)

Hi shar
Have you tried any other vegies? My boy doesnt like carrot either, so I give him parsnip, sweet potato etc, when he gets used to those tastes I then mix in a little carrot.
I made the mistake of giving apple puree first, so he now has apple or pear puree with farex for breakfast and then vegies for dinner.
Keep persisting with the vegies, good luck

Donna & Fraser (5 MNTHS)
Sign in to follow this topic