Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Really needing some advice on food intake.

Really needing some advice on food intake. Rss

Hey ladies I haven't been on in a while but I really need some advice on what to do with my little man. He's eleven weeks old today and he only ever drinks a maximum of about 600mls of formula a day. He was 3.98kgs when he was born and now at eleven weeks he weighs 5.3 kgs but he doesn't seem to be gaining weight terribly well. He's supposed to be eating approx 800mls of formula a day and he isn't which is worrying me and his weight just isn't doing what it should be which is also worrying me. Honestly I wonder if he would even be eating 600mls a day if it wasn't for the fact that I dreamfeed him at 10:30ish every night. He has reflux and was on 10mg a day of losec until tues when the doctor said to increase it to 20mg a day but it's not making any difference. He will only ever eat 100mls a feed no matter how hard I've tried to get him to take more and he has that every 2-2.5 hours. I just need to know what other people think. I'm worried about him and I'm going to make an appt to see a paediatrician for as soon as possible but for now has anyone elses bubs been like this? Should I be concerned or am I just overreacting?

Hayley''s going to be a big sister smile EDD 3.3.10

Hey ladies I haven't been on in a while but I really need some advice on what to do with my little man. He's eleven weeks old today and he only ever drinks a maximum of about 600mls of formula a day. He was 3.98kgs when he was born and now at eleven weeks he weighs 5.3 kgs but he doesn't seem to be gaining weight terribly well. He's supposed to be eating approx 800mls of formula a day and he isn't which is worrying me and his weight just isn't doing what it should be which is also worrying me. Honestly I wonder if he would even be eating 600mls a day if it wasn't for the fact that I dreamfeed him at 10:30ish every night. He has reflux and was on 10mg a day of losec until tues when the doctor said to increase it to 20mg a day but it's not making any difference. He will only ever eat 100mls a feed no matter how hard I've tried to get him to take more and he has that every 2-2.5 hours. I just need to know what other people think. I'm worried about him and I'm going to make an appt to see a paediatrician for as soon as possible but for now has anyone elses bubs been like this? Should I be concerned or am I just overreacting?

mine does the same. he is 11 weeks and would average 600-650ml per day. i am not worried as long as he is gaining weight. if he stops, then i will worry. he was3.28kgs at birth and is now (well as of last week) 5.43kgs. he has silent reflux and before treating this was averaging 400mls per day, we started treating about a week and a half ago
Thanks for the reply. DS has been up and down with his weight. He's been really really slow to gain weight and he lost a little bit a while ago before the reflux diagnosis but hasn't seemed to lose any since. Glad to hear that someone elses bub is doing it and is ok though. I'm going to weigh DS sometime over the weekend and see how his weight is going as he was last weighed on monday.

Try not to worry. Some bubs are just little eaters. I would watch more for other things- weight gain (regardless of what's "normal"), wet nappies, happy, sleeping etc.
My DD2 is 7 months old, not eating solids and drinking the same as a 1 month old! She's VERY different to DD1 with her eating.
The way I look at it, she's saving us a fortune on formula smile

Ok this suggestion might be time consuming but it may help.
Since he is already on feeds quite close together have you considered offering him about 80mls every hour? (during the day only) The smaller portions more often might go down easier causing less discomfort and result in him eating more (920mls in 12 hrs during the day plus night feeds) if that works you can then slowly increase the size of each feed and streatch out the time of feeds.

CHeers Ness

If he is putting on weight I really wouldnt worry unless he is unwell or theres other thhings causing you concern. My son only drank 100-120mL till he was about 8months old.
Your situation sounds similiar to what we went & still are going through. My son was premmie, has reflux & is on Losec for it & only drank maximum 90mls EBM every 2-3 hours until he was about 4 months old. It has very slowly increased & he is currently 6 1/2 months & only takes about 150mls per feed every 4 hours. If I try to feed him more or more frequently he refuses, drinks even less or vomits it up. If his reflux is playing up or he is sick (he has his first cold atm) then the volume drops even lower. He has never drank more than 800mls in 24 hours & usually only averages 650-700mls per day instead of the reccomended 1250mls per day according to his current weight. It is worrying but he is still gaining weight & has at least 6 wet nappies per day which is what the doctors look for. He was 1.8kgs at birth & is currently 7.5kgs. I don't know if he will ever take the full amount that is reccommended but as long as he keeps gaining weight that is the main thing. Some babies are small eaters & it seems like to me that alot of reflux babies are fussy eaters also. I know it is hard not to worry or over reacte but just monitor his wet nappies & growth & the docs will tell you if they are concerned.

Thank for all the replies ladies. I think the main reason it's concerning me is his weight is very up and down. The doctor is a little worried about it as it took him 3 weeks to put on almost 250gs. I'm going to keep weighing him and see how his weight goes and if it's not doing well then I will make an a appt to see a paediatrician. It's just all so different from my DD so I don't know if I need to be concerned or not.

Sign in to follow this topic