Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Snacks / Fingerfoods Rss

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can suggest good healthy fingerfood snacks for a 7 1/2 month old?

She's not that great with her hands just yet so things need to be grabbable without squashing too much.

Thanks for any suggestions

Hi bangus

When my daughter was this age I used to give her cooked carrot sticks, cheese sticks (cut very thinly to stop choking), slices of banana (cut longways), pear and cooked apple. When she got a bit older and was better with her hands she was also given cooked peas, slices of kiwi fruit, home made chips (cooked in the oven), sultanas, slithers of meat with gravy and pieces of bread with butter and vegemite or polony.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi bangus,
My son is 8 1/2 months old and just about eats anything he can get his hands on but the best thing that I have been shown that bub loves and is nice on the teething gums is milk'o'malt arnotts biscuits there not the healtheist but it is an idea once in a while. Also he eats the fruit, veg, cheese sticks and cheese and vegemite sandwiches but try all different things as they need a good varity to stpo fussy eaters! Also home cooked muffins are good. It dosnt matter if she squishys it, its all the learning process and its funnier for her! Also two things my son really loves is watermelon (deseeded) and banana and no matter how good they are with there hands these things squish but Im sure she will love them and It is fun to watch there face as the try new things!

Mummy to 3 Boys

Thanks for your responses (o:

I give Olivia the occasional Milk Arrowroot biscuit which she loves. She also has cheese sticks and sao biscuits. I've tried cooked carrot sticks and she screwed up her face, this was funny because she likes carrot. I'm going to try pieces of banana tomorrow.

This morning I gave her a piece of sliced tinned peach. I held it out to her and she tried to grab it but it slipped right out of her hand and went flying, it was very funny. LOL

I think I'm just going to have to invest in a messy mat for under her highchair and LOTS more face washers. (o:

Hi all,
when did u start to give spreads eg vegimite on toast?
Do u give ready made cheese sticks or cut your own?

thanks
Elz
Hi Elz

I have been giving my daughter vegemite on toast since she got her 4 top teeth - so I would say I started around 10 months old. I don't give her any other spreads at the moment. I think Jam is too sweet and peanut butter is a no no till after they are one because of the risk of allergy to peanuts.

I give Ashlee ready made cheese sticks as they are soft and easy for her to chew. I cut them in half length ways and then in half down the middle so that she doesn't bite off too big chunks. I don't cut my own cheese yet because it is very hard cheese - it would probably be alright but I just haven't done it yet.

Seeya

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi Jelli
I have been giving my son toast with vegimite for about a month now and he is nine months old on the 30th. He is just getting his first tooth as we speak, he has no trouble chewing it! I just cut the crust off as it can be a bit chewy and hard but he loves it any way! I have been giving him cheese sticks for a couple of weeks I also just break them in half because he can be a bit of a pig! If I dont have any sticks I just give hime some sliced cheese broken in four! But it does depend on your baby if he or she is good with chewing things. Just try it and you will know if she is ready or not. It dosnt hurt to try and than stop if she isnt ready! I had to work that out for myself!
Mel

Mummy to 3 Boys

Try cutting cheese (like Kraft cheddar) with a vegetable peeler. You get really thin slices that are easily handled, but not a choking hazard.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi there,

I was just wondering how old was Olivia when you started to give these snacks......

I have a 6month old boy and he is on rice ceral and custards,tinned pear and apple... I havent ventured out and given him any thing like what you give your little one..

I was just curious as I dont want Connor getting too fussy with his foods. Also I was woried as well because he hasnt cut his first tooth yet.. Hopefully not too much longer now..

Cheers

Tanya
mickandtan77@bigpond.com

Tan,QLD,Connor 2, Mackayla 2wks old

Hi Tanya,

I've only been offering Olivia the occasional snack for a couple of weeks now. I started to offer her something in the afternoon because she would have lunch at about 11.30 and I wanted to stretch her out a bit for dinner. Without a snack she would want dinner at 4pm.

Olivia also has short daytime sleeps rather than longer ones and I think that because she is awake and playing more she requires that little bit extra food. I didn't want to offer her a full feed so finger food is perfect and it will also help with her development (grasping hold of small objects etc).

I'm now offering a finger food snack midmorning and also midafternoon. I find this is also a good time to offer her some water to drink as well.

Don't worry about when he'll get a tooth, they are all so different. Olivia got her first one a 3 and a half months (now has 4 teeth) but her cousin is nearly 9 months and is showing no sign of teething.

From what I understand having teeth or not doesn't matter because babies actually "chew" with their gums to begin with.

Hope this helps

Hi...I just wanted to clarify something. I've been told by my health nurse that peanuts are a no no til after 5 years old. They have such allergic reactions that they recommend that you wait til then to offer them to your children because by age 5 you hope that your child can cope with such a dreadful allergic reaction as you can get with peanuts. So if you want to be really careful, steer clear of those peanuts....and peanut butter and stuff too.

Now that I've said that, I'm going to be hypocritical and say that we've already tried my 16month old on peanut butter, and she (thankfully) didn't have any problem.

I'm only saying the thing about the peanuts because that is what I was told, and I wouldn't want anyone having a child with a severe peanut allergy reaction,... I wanted you all to know the danger.
Hope you see what I'm getting at.........enjoy introducing your bubs to solids and finger food......it certainly is a fun time of learning for them.
Enjoy!
Georgina
Sign in to follow this topic