Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

trying solids Lock Rss

the packages of organic baby apples and farex say after 4 months my dad said i should try Eli on something more aas it just looked like he wanted something extra Eli is just over three months. he is loving the 5 or so tiny mouthfuls he gets everycouple of days I am still breastfeeding and its still going well am i doing my baby harm feeding him those things now before 4 months?
Short answer because I'm too tired to go into it is yes, possibly. Everything you need to know and further links here
I think they aren't recommending food until 6 months now, used to be 4 months i think. I started my dd at 5 months she's like vacuum just gobbles everything up that goes near her!

I think babies must go through a funny stage at 3 months because i hear of so many people saying there babies are hungry at 3 months, my dd was whinging at 3 months maybe they are just going through a growth stage or something i didn't start her on solids then and she got over that whinging stage in a couple of weeks.

If it was me personally i wouldn't start solids at 3 months, but it is completely up to you at the end of the day.
The world health organisation recommends that you start at six months, but it is under review. It is thought that before four months their organs aren't developed enough to handle it, so try to hold off as long as you can.
well i am a first time perent and my son was a verry hungy babby nothing would fill him other kids might just be the same my son is now 4 1/2 months he has been on farex sence he was 3 weeks old it doesnt hurt them as long as u keep it to min level n work it up as they need it stay away from custards but home made blended mash potato with their milk is very very good

well i am a first time perent and my son was a verry hungy babby nothing would fill him other kids might just be the same my son is now 4 1/2 months he has been on farex sence he was 3 weeks old it doesnt hurt them as long as u keep it to min level n work it up as they need it stay away from custards but home made blended mash potato with their milk is very very good

Eve75

Solids at 3 weeks??? Do bubs at that age even have head control, and the ability to eat solids? ALL newborns are hungry. That's all that newborns do. They just seem constantly attached. To say this is reason to feed solids is absurd. Their bodies are not ready yet to accept food. To say they are ok now at 4 months, doesn't mean they won't have future gut problems, or allergic conditions (asthma,excema etc).

WHO has recommendations for a reason. It doesn't mean your bub is advanced when they are interested in watching you eat. It doesn't mean they're ready. They are just watching, and taking it all in. I don't understand the rush. Just wait till 6 months.

Eve75

Solids at 3 weeks??? Do bubs at that age even have head control, and the ability to eat solids? ALL newborns are hungry. That's all that newborns do. They just seem constantly attached. To say this is reason to feed solids is absurd. Their bodies are not ready yet to accept food. To say they are ok now at 4 months, doesn't mean they won't have future gut problems, or allergic conditions (asthma,excema etc).

WHO has recommendations for a reason. It doesn't mean your bub is advanced when they are interested in watching you eat. It doesn't mean they're ready. They are just watching, and taking it all in. I don't understand the rush. Just wait till 6 months.

What she said ^^^^

Crazy!!

They have recomendatyion for a reason, I do believe it is still the 4-6 mths but they much prefer you wait til 6mths, I started my eldest at 3.5mths on the advice of an elderly MCHN, and regretted it, he had issues tolerating all sorts of food, who know he may have anyway but I would not do it again.

DD1 & 2 started at between 5-6mths with no issues, DD2 was a hungry bubby but their little bodies need to be ready for solids or you will only cause issues, which as a PP said, may not be now but later in life.
If bubby is genuinely hungry I would try a thickened formula first but if you FIL saaid he LOOKS like he wants something I wouldn't do it, a lot of babies around that age are becoming aware of their surroundings and trying to reach for things whether its food or not, they also suck their fists, its not necessairily a sign they are hungry
hey, don't worry a bit. I started my son on solids at 3.5mnths and he is fine. Back in the day my mum said her and all of her friends started at this time too.

The advice is currently not to start till 6 mnths i think mainly cause of concens with allergies however if you visit the The Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA) website they say that this is not really proven and it could in fact be worse to wait till 6mnths.Heres the link http://www.allergy.org.au/content/view/350/287/

Start at 4mnths, or start a bit before, wait till 6 mnths or dont give solids till a year... there is so much advice and opinions. My opinion is as long as your not being ridiculous, and your baby is healthy and you are happy do what you feel comfortable with. As mothers we have soo much pressure to deal with don't put extra upon yourself (and dont let anyone else either!). No one knows your child like you, no one else is hearing your baby scream with hunger so as corny as it is go with your heart and do whats right for you and your baby.

sorry about the length but once i got going i couldn't stop lol
Everyone has their own opinion and all 'professionals' seem to contradict each other! I personally am going to wait until my son (who is 3 months in 3 days) tells me he is ready. When he is trying to grab my food, sits at the table easily, and just generally wants to eat will be the time i start him on solids - whether its 4 months old or 8 months old or anytime inbetween. Just let you baby guide you - dont force it. smile

Eve maybe you believe NOT to give solids till 6 months but not all babies are the same!!! And im pretty sure there are millions of recommendations everyday about how to care for your baby but that is all they are RECOMMENDATIONS doesnt mean you have to follow them ALL!!!! It is your baby not WHO's, so how do they know what your baby needs, they are not there when they are crying all night or changing there bums, bathing them and feeding them etc. They are on there computers writing up recommendations on what they believe is best from the 10 babies they have just been studying.

My advice is do what you feel comfortable doing, if you believe you need to give your bub some food do it. He is your son you know him the best no one else does so do what you want to do, nothing bad is going to come from it!!!

Kayla Elizabeth (10/1/06) Mummy''''s Angel

If you feel your baby needs it then it probably wont do any harm.

I fed my DS1 farex at 2 mths of age as he was starving all the time and drinking lots of milk - he is now 19 years old and has hardly had a sick day in his life plus no allergies!

DS2 & DD1 was around the 3 month mark when they first had farex and they are both completely healthy too with no food allergies. Mind you though it was the done thing all those years ago and if you waited 6mths to feed your baby then that was frowned upon!

My DD2 is now 3 months old but I wont consider feeding her until at least 4 months because I feel she just isn't ready at this stage plus with all the recent findings that feeding them too early affects their digestive systems has really confused me. So who knows, in my experience it does not affect them so the advice I would give to you is to go with your gut instinct, only you know your baby.
Sign in to follow this topic