Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

farex for 14 week old? Lock Rss

Hello I want to hear from mums who HAVE given their 14 week olds farex.spoon feed or in their bottles?(or younger)

My DD is nearly 14 weeks and is now having 7 bottles a day between 160-200mls each bottle, she is on formula. she has never been a good day sleeper (45mins at a time) and also the last week she has been waking twice in the nite and a feed is the only thing that can settle her. we thought it was a growth spurt but has lasted a week now.
she crys alot, she has silent reflux but also crys alot because she is hungry, at the start of every feed she like squrms and crys and opens her mouth and trys to suck the bottle as fast as she can, she calms down after the first few mins lol its like she is starving!

has any mums started solids or put farex in their bottles before 4 mnths, if so how did it go? what was the outcome?
thanks, smile
Firstly congrats on your beautiful bub.

We have some info on our site which you might like to have a read through ... Baby Solids

The topic of starting solids can often become a heated one on our forum, because many of our members feel very passionately about it. So, just a reminder to all of our members to please keep your feedback both constructive and polite.

Thanks <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
I havnt done it but thought I'd try and help out.

Have you tried a thicker formula? I know with DS he did the same (was about 4months old) and I changed formulas and it helped heaps.

Also when growing both my kids would wake more often for a week or more. She could also be having a wonder week (or what the other one is called) as they do wake more during those weeks.

hey thanks, yep we put her on a thicker formula about a month ago and at the start it worked well but now doesnt seem enough lol

ohk i dont know what a wonder week is?? lol
A 'wonder week' is that time when babies put in a huge growth spurt. I bf my DD, but I remember around 13-14 weeks actually sitting in my rocking chair with her just crying with exhaustion. All she wanted to do was feed and feed and feed. It did pass after a bit over a week, and she grew an huge amount in that time. She seemed even more alert and more developed.

I know the topic is heated so I'm not going to get into the whole solids thing too much, other than to take the advise of a child health nurse or your GP. This sounds like a growth spurt to me and they can last up to two weeks, so hang in there!

Hi smile

I did baby led with my son but I would maybe play it out a little bit and see if its just a growth spurt or not. As PP mentioned around the 3 month mark they go through a huge growth spurt and I know when i breastfed my son he fed like a newborn and it drive me bonkers.

I would suggest supplementing with an offer of an extra bottle before introducing solids.

I'm not saying dont do it, but maybe its just a growth spurt smile
Hi, our girls are the same age! Mine was 14 weeks Wednesday. Mine has just this last week started feeding heaps more, too. She's breastfed and there was a couple of nights recently where she was feeding every two hours. She has since started to settle back down but is definitely feeding a lot more through the day. Like yours, she feeds like she's STARVING laugh

I just assumed it was a massive growth spurt and went with it. Sure enough, she's grown out of a few suits. My thought would be to keep offering formula, farex is basically starch and not especially nutritious (especially compared to breast milk/formula), so you'd be filling her up on something that's not really going to help her growth IYKWIM? I'd definitely do what pp's have suggested and have a chat with your GP/health nurse.

Good luck with it all smile
hi thanks for ur replys smile

yea i feel like shes starving the way she lunges for the bottle lol

could be a real big growth spurt! shes really short (56cms) so hope shes growing in lagnth lol

Ive tried to offer more milk but she just starts snacking and then doesnt sleep at all, she normally has a bottle every 3 hours and sleeps 45 mins between each feed.

ive talked to gp and a plunket nurse and gp said to try and wait a few more weeks but if it keeps upsetting her sleep to try farex in her bottles if thats what i want to do lol and plunket nurse said not anything untill she is 4 mnths then try puree veg and fruit

hi thanks for ur replys smile

yea i feel like shes starving the way she lunges for the bottle lol

could be a real big growth spurt! shes really short (56cms) so hope shes growing in lagnth lol

Ive tried to offer more milk but she just starts snacking and then doesnt sleep at all, she normally has a bottle every 3 hours and sleeps 45 mins between each feed.

ive talked to gp and a plunket nurse and gp said to try and wait a few more weeks but if it keeps upsetting her sleep to try farex in her bottles if thats what i want to do lol and plunket nurse said not anything untill she is 4 mnths then try puree veg and fruit

Sounds like a massive growth spurt to me, I put a suit on my girl that she'd worn just last week, no probs and this week her little toes were all mushed up at the ends. I say go with your health nurse's advice, give her at least another month before trying solids. Formula is honestly the very best thing for her at the moment, you're doing a great job responding to her needs smile

They change their feeding habits so often when they're little, it's hard to keep up, lol. Just go with the flow, she'll settle back down soon (or change again, just to keep you on your toes wink )
Another one here with a 14wk old. The last two weeks she has picked up an extra 2 feeds (BF) overnight. I also think you have a growth spurt on your hands. DD did drop one of those extra feeds last night, so our current growth spurt might be coming to an end. The four month growth spurt will be upon us shortly!

Make sure you doctor is keeping an eye on her weight for the reflux meds, they need to be increased with weight and apparently a lot of doctors forget. If your doc has, that may explain some of the crying.

Sorry, I can't help on the solids, we are planning on BLS/BLW so need to wait a fair bit longer.

I hear you on the cat naps, my girl is the same!
My DD had silent reflux and on advice from her pead we started solids at 4 months. My DD didn't like farex so we tired her on puree apples and fruits. She took to them really well and 'outgrew' her reflux at about 5 months. Her pead said that starting on solids would help to reduce the amount of milk she was bringing up as solids are just that, more solid.
You have had lots of great advice from the pp smile

I havent started farex that early but have had a silent reflux bub so maybe i can offer you some advice which may explain some of your bub's behaviour.

They like to feed constantly and snack as it cools the pain from the reflux then makes it worse as they then bring up more stomach acid causing pain - it's a vicious cycle sad

Is your bub on medication? We were on a prescription called Zoton which is similar to Losec. It comes in tablets but it's best to find a chemist that makes into a medicine and get it flavoured! it tastes awful! it's then easier to administer and as a pp mentioned as bub grows make sure that you get the dose increased or you will have one very unsettled bub. When they are on the right amount of medication they shouldnt really have any symptoms and feed the right amount eg 3 hourly etc

also we ended up at a sleep school as my DS associated sleeping and lying down with pain from reflux even when he medicated fine. they saved our lives and he became a great sleeper and self settler. Reflux bubs love dummys too as they like to suck things - i was always anti dummy until then.

most bubs grow out of it by 6-12 months, hope yours does too. please pm if you have any other questions. DS had it and was on medication until 25months
Sign in to follow this topic