Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Milk comes before solid or other way around?

Milk comes before solid or other way around? Lock Rss

Hi,
I'm on tizzie halls routine trying to get bub to sleep through night (12hr).
Bub recently started on solids and as her suggestion - milk before solid.
Are there any mums out there doing solids before milk and bub is still happily sleeping through?

I'm getting solids before milk votes from mum and grandma but they tell me to throw the routine out the door! Confused...
You shoudl always offer milk first as taht is a primary sorce of food and where all the nutrition is, u dont want to get them filled up on solids before having the bottle as at this age food is for fun and learning about the world,having fun,the textures,tastes etc

so no i always offer after a bottle or breastfeed.

so always offer milk then soilds, goodluck smile
Up until bub is 1 milk should be the main source of nutrition and the reccoendation is therefore that it should be given before food. Mums and grandmas often have different ways of doing things, doesnt mean they are right! Go with whatever routine works for you and your bub

Firstly, how old is bub?

I read that book also and followed the dreamfeed and feeding section also. Our Community MACH Nurse provided me with a book titled "From Milk to More... the book suggests milk then solids as milk is the most important source of nutrition for the first 9mths.

The key component is seperating the times for milk and the times for solids. Allow at least 1/2 hr gap.

In the end of the day, its a personal choice, if one way isn't working then try the other.
I kept with the BF before solids routine when my bub started solids & it worked for awhile. Then as her solid feeds got bigger around 8 1/2 months, i noticed it was only her solid feeds that were filling her up, & we just couldnt get her into a good routine with BF before solids. So now we give her solids then her BF after & she seems to settle much better. She's 9 months old & still drinks a good amount of milk after her solids so i dont think it has effected her intake at all. Every bub is different though.
Well both of my boys were not very interested in solids initially but they needed to eat them due to weight gain requirements. Because of this my Doctor advised me to give solids before milk. This was due to the fact that they would be happy to fill up on milk and then ignore my beautifully prepared solids! I was told that a baby of six months should be having half a cup of solids three times a day and that it should not impact to heavily on the amount of milk given. For my boys it doesn't when they have a bottle on its own they have 150ml and for a feed with solids they have 100ml. Some advice: Stop feeling guilty about what you should do and follow your instincts as that is most likely the right thing to do for your kids!

Hi,
I'm on tizzie halls routine trying to get bub to sleep through night (12hr).
Bub recently started on solids and as her suggestion - milk before solid.
Are there any mums out there doing solids before milk and bub is still happily sleeping through?

I'm getting solids before milk votes from mum and grandma but they tell me to throw the routine out the door! Confused...

Milk first and solids I always did at least an hour later - otherwise they dont have the appetite for both so you need to space them out. Milk is first until 9 months and then you can switch to solids first.
LOVE Tizzie's routines. Stick with what she says because it goes hand in hand with the rest of the routine. I followed her routines and had great success!
I agree about throwing the routine out the door but not about solids before milk. Ounce for ounce milk has more fat and calories than any food you can feed bar avocado. Solids before 9-12 months is about getting them used to different tastes and textures not about nutrition because milk is the most important source of nutrition for them.

DS2 started having lunch and dinner before milk at around 10 months but he always had milk before breakfast until he self weaned from bf at 18.5 months.

thank you mums!!

Bub is 4.5 months.

I'll be back for my advice when he reaches 8 ish months.
Sign in to follow this topic