Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. When is it ok to add herbs and spices?

When is it ok to add herbs and spices? Lock Rss

Hi

I make my own baby food and at the moment I just steam or boil different vegies and freeze them and then take out a few different cubes at meal times so the flavours vary. I also make a cassarole at times by adding mixed vege and lamb or chicken with water in my slowcooker then using a food processor to mash it.

I'm wondering if i should start to add herbs or spices or even recipe bases to the cassarole? I've been told that salt and sugar aren't good before 12 months as they are too harsh on little bodies. So what would I add???

DD is 7months btw. lol

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Hi

I make my own baby food and at the moment I just steam or boil different vegies and freeze them and then take out a few different cubes at meal times so the flavours vary. I also make a cassarole at times by adding mixed vege and lamb or chicken with water in my slowcooker then using a food processor to mash it.

I'm wondering if i should start to add herbs or spices or even recipe bases to the cassarole? I've been told that salt and sugar aren't good before 12 months as they are too harsh on little bodies. So what would I add???

DD is 7months btw. lol

I added yummys, herbs, garlic, curry etc at 6 months! Haha.. I have four kids youngest is 13 months now. I dont add salt or pepper still. Herbs ect have natural properties and are great for the winter months and for taste! If you look at the threads today I added a few idea's for another lady of all the foods i give my little ones.

I added yummys, herbs, garlic, curry etc at 6 months! Haha.. I have four kids youngest is 13 months now. I dont add salt or pepper still. Herbs ect have natural properties and are great for the winter months and for taste! If you look at the threads today I added a few idea's for another lady of all the foods i give my little ones.

I copied and pasted this for your own needs. smile

Here are a few I cook for my baby's

tiny bit of curry in pumpkin and cream soup, thicken with farex,

pasta with cheese sauce and tuna,

Creamed rice and fruit

fish, topped with mash potatoe and cheese

Cooked rice, raisons and cinnammion

Creamed corn, and mash.

Mince, and pasta, cheese, garlic

Carrots and parsnips

Home made yogurt and banana

Homemade ice blocks made with yogurt (great for teething)

Corn fritters with mash kumera

Cooked porraige with cooked apples and pear

Spinch and feta scones

Rubuarb and apple picklets

Hi

DD is 7months btw. lol

Herbs and spices are ok, recipe bases are not - they are really high in salt and often have colourings and preservatives in them as well. They are not good for adults let alone babies and kids.

If your bub is happy eating combinations of foods without herbs I'd go with it but if you want to add things then garlic is great - for flavour and health, and then its a matter of what you are cooking as to what you'd add - ie a lamb casserole then rosemary, thyme that sort of thing. Even as toddlers and small children salt is not good so you really dont want them to develop a taste for it - same goes into teenage years and adulthood, the less salt you have the better your longterm health.
I try to show restraint as I am a chef and get heavy handed!
And I think that food tastes naturally great anyway.
But I do use in small quanities:
Cumin
Grated lemon rind
Keens Curry Powder - mild but tasty
Lemongrass
Basil
Coriander
Parsley
Oregano
we use herbs and spices a lot and we never did purees, just baby led solids.herbs andspices were introduced after the main intro of vegies. just start mild and work your way up. we also gave chilli by about 10 months. when dd2 was10 months her fav was enchildas complete with cumin and chilli. by 1.5 my dd1 loved things like thai beef salad, with the chilli considerably warm.
I always just put some natural yog on the kids plate or some banana covered in desicated coconut so they can tone down any dish if too hot. My little ones eat herbs straight from the garden. I don't understand the whole bland food for a long time thing.

We cook from scratch so no recipe bases- but if you look at the actual recipes for the food, they are often really simple to make with handy ingredients you would already have.
Sign in to follow this topic