Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Starting 3 month old on solids Lock Rss

I have choosen to start my bub on solids with each meal to help with her vomiting 2 doctors said it was fine.

Ive just been giving her rice cerial to start with has been about 4ish days that ive done it for now no reactions and im wanting to start her on some fruit and veg. Whats the first fruit or veg i should try and how much should i breast feed between or after a feed... First bub so im a little confused on how to start solids fully. I heard pear is good to start incase she gets constipated is this true?

Any suggestions or any ways that you started your bub on solids would be much appreciated = )
Should i cook all the food first, including fruit? i have a great pureeing mixer for her but im going to start with it still being a bit lumpy to see how she goes if she dosnt handle it well im going to just puree all of it. Does that sound alright to do?
Hi!
Sounds like you are doing great. My DS was a bit of puker and just a big bub so I started him at 3 months. A great tummy settler is -apple, banana & Rice cereal. I have a blog about foods I make but my DS is 10 months however if you look at my eariler posts about how I puree fruit and freeze it in icecube trays that may help you. You can also do this with veg.

Some combos or starters you may like to try at this stage:
Apple & Sweet potato.
Pumpkin
Carrot & pumpkin
Parsnip & potato
Pear (Yep pear and apple are great in fibre btw)
Pear, Carrot & Sweet potato.

If you cook and puree each one individually and divide into icecube trays you can mix and match each meal and add a bit of rice cereal to it for added iron and carbing it up to make it more filling. Best of luck you sound like you and bub are doing great! smile

pS: cook everything except banana. You have to make banana as you go. You can't freeze it either. Just cook it in as little amount of water as possible on low until soft and use that water to help puree it....you don't want to lose all the fruit and veg nutrients in draining the water. smile
Firstly, you will probably get some heated respponses to this hun, so be prepared. Your baby requires more milk than anything at this age, so a very small amount of rice cereal would be all I'd be giving, like no more than maybe 1/2 - 1 teaspoon. Her tum is very small. All their requirements are in the milk, so don't reduce or cut out her milk feeds.

It also may not help her vomiting. If she has reflux, mild medication may be required. If she is formula fed, she may need a different one or a thickener, but you would need to speak to your healthcare professional about these. When DS was a baby, he was put on Losec at around 10 months of age due to his reflux. It settled just before he turned 1.

All the best.
Thankyou = )Ill give one of them ago this arvo. Tahlia is in the higher percentage of kids for age but thats all over haha Doctor said shes also really developed for her age. She grabs and tries to eat any food we have, shes also teething too though. Shes growing to fast =( haha
I'd just stick with the rice cereal for now. If she's only 3 months old and your only giving it to her because she has stomach/reflux problems then i wouldn't be in a rush to introduce anything new till she's at least 4 months, if not older. At this young, their digestive system is still developing and they don't need the extra vitamins so you would only be giving her new foods for yourself, not for her benefit. They grow so quickly already so if it's not necessary, why be in a rush! (Just my humble opinion!)

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

Yeah im ready for them lol

It is her reflux that is causing it and the doctors wont give me anything for it. They said she will just grow out of it, they tried her on gaviscon the kids type but it didnt do a whole lot. I said i tried a bit of rice cerial and that it helped heaps the doctor said it was fine and probably better for her as long as she has no reaction if it means shes keeping down feeds.

Bub was getting worse with the vomiting to the point where it felt like she was vomiting nonstop all day long. One day we went through about 6 or 7 changes of clothes in 30/40 mins =( She was feeding every hour or 2 eating a full feed and just vomiting it all back up. She wasnt happy she was sooking and crying the whole day, we started to give her rice cerial with everyfeed and she had one little dribble of vomit in 2 days and was much happier like her old self again. When i give her the rice cerial from the spoon she cracks it when i dont give it to her fast enough and she can eat it from the spoon without much coming back out.

So now she is feeding every 3/4 hours sleeping 3 times in the day and sleeping great over night again.

Im still wanting to breastfeed her as much as possible i mix the rice cerial with breastmilk. She needs solids with pretty much every feed though to keep it down.
Honestly, if I were you I'd be going to another doctor and getting a second opinion if her reflux is that bad. Are you BF or FF? If you're FF you could try a different formula, or could try adding a thickener to it. But if you do decide to keep giving her solids, I'd stick with just rice cereal for now. And when you start giving her fruit & veg do not make the pure lumpy. She's only 3 months old - you don't want her to choke.
This is my 2nd doctor ive been to = )

I think i might just stick to rice cerial mixed with breast milk if she gets constipated might give her a bit of pear. Shes happy on rice cerial so not going to rush it.

I know all the guidelines say its bad for them to have solids but i would rather give her a bit of rice cerial with each feed rather then give her more "drugs" that might not work for her if you know what i mean.

Shes due for her 4 month check up in 2 and half weeks so ill see how her vomiting is going by then wether i go to another doctor for "drugs" for her.
hi, I don't know about reflux but my son started on solids a few weeks before 4 mths- i tried to only do tiny bits before 4mths. He developed quickly and screamed everytime we ate - thats why we started.

i still tried to make the solids an 'extra' to BF. so tried to feed him as much as before.

i used to give him little bits of soft food like banana at that age but he was really good at not choking smile it depends on the kid- but if she's developing quickly she could be the same- I also gave him 'plain' pureed fruit- that i made at home. i think its ok-just keep an eye out for reactions.

I should also add that i wasn't too sure of what i was doing smile i didn't do much research but had mum to help- she'd been sick with me-and started me at 3mths. With DD i kept her off solids till 6mths
The first doc said gaviscon until it clears it all up. It wasnt doing anything and he was pretty clear he would guve her anything else

Second doctor said its a phase a lot of babies go through and it will get worse around 4/5 months then slowy start to clear up and she wasnt going to give me anything.

hi, I don't know about reflux but my son started on solids a few weeks before 4 mths- i tried to only do tiny bits before 4mths. He developed quickly and screamed everytime we ate - thats why we started.

i still tried to make the solids an 'extra' to BF. so tried to feed him as much as before.

i used to give him little bits of soft food like banana at that age but he was really good at not choking smile it depends on the kid- but if she's developing quickly she could be the same- I also gave him 'plain' pureed fruit- that i made at home. i think its ok-just keep an eye out for reactions.

I should also add that i wasn't too sure of what i was doing smile i didn't do much research but had mum to help- she'd been sick with me-and started me at 3mths. With DD i kept her off solids till 6mths

To be honest she seems more interested in the bowl of white smoosh then boob any more haha I give her the solids first so its in her tummy first so she hopefully dosnt bring the milk up and its working a treat i just dont want her to get constipated.

Shes really good at chewing on things, she grabbed my partners ive block the other day and chewed a bit off of it. With him supervising incase she started to choke but she was fine i think the cold helped her teething too. I might freeze up some bigger cubes of pureed for to chew on.
Sign in to follow this topic