Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Help with dairy free diet. Lock Rss

My DS is a month under 1 year old -he has always had really bad skin, real dry and bad flare ups all the time.
After another visit to the Dr today we have now decided to try a dairy free diet and see if that helps his skin.
He is on formula -so have gone and brought a soy one that I will start him on tomorrow.

Does anybody have any great tips or advise or anything to help me out?...

My DS is a month under 1 year old -he has always had really bad skin, real dry and bad flare ups all the time.
After another visit to the Dr today we have now decided to try a dairy free diet and see if that helps his skin.
He is on formula -so have gone and brought a soy one that I will start him on tomorrow.

Does anybody have any great tips or advise or anything to help me out?...

There are quite a few things that you can substitute dairy for. Butter you can use Nuttelex, which I think tastes better anyway. Milk you can use rice or soy milk and you can also get soy yoghurt and ice-cream, although my DD prefers sorbet to ice-cream.

Just remember to check the ingredients on all the packets that you buy as a lot of things that you wouldn't think would contain milk products... do. Even some brands of bread have milk product in them. blink

My 6 year old DD is allergic to dairy, egg and nuts so I have a lot of recipes that I am happy to share with you if you like.

And another thing, dairy is commonly associated with eczema, so I hope you see a real improvement soon. smile

There are quite a few things that you can substitute dairy for. Butter you can use Nuttelex, which I think tastes better anyway. Milk you can use rice or soy milk and you can also get soy yoghurt and ice-cream, although my DD prefers sorbet to ice-cream.

Just remember to check the ingredients on all the packets that you buy as a lot of things that you wouldn't think would contain milk products... do. Even some brands of bread have milk product in them. blink

My 6 year old DD is allergic to dairy, egg and nuts so I have a lot of recipes that I am happy to share with you if you like.

And another thing, dairy is commonly associated with eczema, so I hope you see a real improvement soon. smile

Thanks for that! -going to do my food shopping tonight -think it will take a little bit longer with reading all of the labels.
He eats lots of fruit and veges so going to keep a lot of that in his diet -and may grab some soy yogurt.
I went and grabbed some bread yesterday and had a little look at some cracker boxes -they all had dairy or contained traces.

A couple of your child's favorite recipes would be great if you can share -I do a lot of baking -but I've also never had to do any type of special diet, it will take a little to get used to.

It is also my DS's birthday next month -so now I need some dairy free ideas for his party food!

He just had his first bottle of soy formula -and didn't mind the flavor change at all so that's a good start to the change.
I know kids with allergies so sometimes I have to substitute things in recipes, sometimes it's a bit of trial and error though. When I make pikelets I leave out the egg and milk and add in a little tub of fruit puree instead. And because it's sweet flavoured I also leave out the sugar. Most cakes I substitute water for milk, maybe just use a little less cause milk is usually thicker.

There's also an allergy recipe book I've seen advertised called the N.O.E.N.D cookbook (stands for no egg nuts dairy). Think it's about $20 sold over the internet.

Thanks for that! -going to do my food shopping tonight -think it will take a little bit longer with reading all of the labels.
He eats lots of fruit and veges so going to keep a lot of that in his diet -and may grab some soy yogurt.
I went and grabbed some bread yesterday and had a little look at some cracker boxes -they all had dairy or contained traces.

A couple of your child's favorite recipes would be great if you can share -I do a lot of baking -but I've also never had to do any type of special diet, it will take a little to get used to.

It is also my DS's birthday next month -so now I need some dairy free ideas for his party food!

He just had his first bottle of soy formula -and didn't mind the flavor change at all so that's a good start to the change.

The only bread that I have found so far to contain milk is the Omega UP brand. We used Helga's Light Rye most of the time, but Wonder White is okay too. As far as crackers go, the normal Ritz crackers don't contain any dairy, neither do the Corn Cruskits. However, the Original Cruskits do.

Uncle Tobys do a fruit bar called Fruit Fix which are dairy free and my DD loves the Fantastic Rice Crackers in the Seaweed flavour.

The only biscuits I have found in the supermarket that don't contain dairy are Arnotts Hundreds and Thousands and there is also a mutlipack of 8 packs of bickies by Mr Munchies that come in the characters of My Little Pony and Scooby Doo. These are a great addition for lunch boxes.

I have recipes for just about anything, so let me know what you are after and I can post them for you if you like. I have ones for pasties, lots of finger foods and also cake. The cake recipe is below and so easy to make!

Most plain potato chips are okay, except for Tasty Jacks and Kettle brands as they contain milk product. You can get some little frankfurts that don't contain dairy, we buy ours from Woolworths (or Safeway) and they are the Mayfair brand. Just be careful cos some do contain dairy. Its just a matter of checking the ingredients, which will become second nature to you after a while! lol! tongue

Another brand that do great allergy-friendly products are Orgran, some of their stuff is stocked in supermarkets, but health food shops have a wider range. They do a custard powder which would be great for your little one.

Another thing I suggest you do is keep a food diary. Record everything that your little one eats in a day and the symptoms that he has, how bad his skin is etc. Cos although dairy is a big factor for bad skin, citrus type fruits can also flare it up, like tomatoes and oranges.

Good luck! smile And I am always here for a chat if you like! I have been doing dairy, egg and nut free for a loooong time now! You get used to it.

Vegan Chocolate or Vanilla Cake (Birthday Cake)

1 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour
1 cup Caster Sugar
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder (omit cocoa if wanting vanilla cake)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon White Vinegar
1 cup Water

Method
Preheat oven to 150 degrees C. Grease a round or log pan.
Sift all dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients and mix on high for a couple of minutes till smooth.
Bake at 150 degrees C for about 40-45 minutes. (times can vary for different ovens) Use skewer to test.
Recipe can be doubled to make 1 slab tin for birthday cakes.
For a Vanilla cake, omit cocoa and add a little extra vanilla if you like.
Can be made into mini muffins - bake for 10mins at 150 degrees C.

Vienna or Butter Cream (DAIRY FREE)

125g Nuttalex or dairy free marg
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 tablespoons soy or rice milk or water

Method
Beat butter till as white as possible. Beat in half of icing sugar gradually.
Add milk then remaining icing sugar. Add colour and flavour if required.
OR
You can just use icing sugar and water as well. This icing will dry hard, not like the butter cream which stays soft, so it just depends on what you want.

The only biscuits I have found in the supermarket that don't contain dairy are Arnotts Hundreds and Thousands and there is also a mutlipack of 8 packs of bickies by Mr Munchies that come in the characters of My Little Pony and Scooby Doo. These are a great addition for lunch boxes.

I have recipes for just about anything, so let me know what you are after and I can post them for you if you like. I have ones for pasties, lots of finger foods and also cake. The cake recipe is below and so easy to make!

You can get some little frankfurts that don't contain dairy, we buy ours from Woolworths (or Safeway) and they are the Mayfair brand. Just be careful cos some do contain dairy.

Another brand that do great allergy-friendly products are Orgran, some of their stuff is stocked in supermarkets, but health food shops have a wider range. They do a custard powder which would be great for your little one.

Another thing I suggest you do is keep a food diary. Record everything that your little one eats in a day and the symptoms that he has, how bad his skin is etc. Cos although dairy is a big factor for bad skin, citrus type fruits can also flare it up, like tomatoes and oranges.

Thanks -have made a note of brands you have mentioned.

-Now I know why they only have 100's and 1000's biscuits at our mainly music playgroup -there are a few that can not have dairy.
-I will be trying the cake recipe you included -thanks. I think I will be looking for finger food recipes -so he is not eating the same type of cracker over and over.
-It is a little unbelievable at times as to what has dairy in it.
-Thanks -I will go and find the brand Orgran!
-didn't think of keeping a diary but I did have a thought as fruit is so easy for his age and dairy free that I didn't want to over do it on a certain type of fruit.
We too are embarking on a Dairy free diet for DS1 who is two. Also, we are trying to avoid foods with preservatives...which I'm fast learning are contained in A LOT of the foods regularaly consumed by household families.

There is a really good website www.fedup.com.au which not only talks about which foods are healthy for kids (and adults) to be eating, but also list foods that are dairy free and provide recipes too.

Hope this helps smile

Thanks -have made a note of brands you have mentioned.

-Now I know why they only have 100's and 1000's biscuits at our mainly music playgroup -there are a few that can not have dairy.
-I will be trying the cake recipe you included -thanks. I think I will be looking for finger food recipes -so he is not eating the same type of cracker over and over.
-It is a little unbelievable at times as to what has dairy in it.
-Thanks -I will go and find the brand Orgran!
-didn't think of keeping a diary but I did have a thought as fruit is so easy for his age and dairy free that I didn't want to over do it on a certain type of fruit.

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you. I needed to find time to write the recipes out on here cos they are all in a book. lol! tongue

I have a few finger food recipes which are good for parties which I have included below. Other "ready-made" finger foods that you can do are frankfurts (the Mayfair brand have no dairy) and Fairy Bread. Just be mindful of what butter, bread and sprinkles you use, but I find that this is always a party favourite!

EASY CHICKEN PASTIES
Makes 8 (normal sized pasties)
4 sheets of canola puff pastry
2 chicken breasts
1 large carrot
1/2 cup frozen peas
310g can of creamed corn

Preheat oven to 180 C
Trim fat from the chicken and cut into tiny chunks
Heat a little olive oil in a frypan and then brown the chicken
Peel the carrot and finely cut, boil until tender
Add the frozen peas and boil for 2 minutes
In a large bowl, combine the chicken, carrots, peas and creamed corn. Allow to cool
Defrost the pastry. Cut each sheet in half, spoon the chicken mixture onto the pastry, and fold in half diagonally. Using a fork, press down the edges in a semi circle then trim off extra pastry.
To make smaller pasties for children, cut the sheet of pastry into 4 small squares instead.
Line a large baking tray with baking paper, place pasties on baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is cooked and golden brown

PUFF PASTRY ROLL UPS
Makes about 20
1 skin free chicken breast
2 rashers of bacon
2 spring onions
20g dairy-free margarine/butter
1 Tbs pain flour
200ml soy milk or rice milk (I use soy)
5 sheets of canola puff pastry

Preheat oven to 180 C
Trim fat from the chicken and bacon then dice both. Heat a little olive oil in a frypan and brown the chicken then set aside. Brown the bacon and set aside with the chicken
Finely chop the spring onions and fry them for one minute then add them to the chicken and bacon
In a saucepan, melt the margarine, add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and slowly add the milk, stirring well to create a smooth white sauce
Return to heat and stir until sauce thickens
Add the chicken, bacon and spring onions to the sauce and allow to cool
Cut each sheet of puff pastry in half and then each half diagonally so that you end up with 4 triangles. Place a spoonful of chicken mixture at the base of each triangle, and then roll up so that the point ends in the middle
Wet the point with a little water and stick it down
Place all the roll ups on a large baking tray covered with baking paper and bake in a moderate oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown

STEAK AND VEGETABLE RISSOLES
Serves 4
500g lean mince (lamb or beef)
1/2 a large zucchini, grated
2 medium carrots, grated
1 Tbs tomato sauce
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 tsps dried coriander leaves
1/2 tsp ground cumin
75g bread crumbs

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together
Divide mixture into eight and roll into balls
Place in the fridge for 30-60 minutes
Heat a little oil in a pan on low to medium heat and fry slowly so the rissoles can cook through
Carefully turn during cooking

* I add a little more tomato sauce if they are too crumbly before rolling into balls *

ANZAC BISCUITS
Makes about 12 biscuits
1 cup Rolled Oats
1 cup Plain Flour
½ cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Bi-Carb Soda
80 grams Nuttalex / or butter
60 grams Golden Syrup

Melt butter and golden syrup in a pyrex jug in the microwave
Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl and then add the warm liquid mix
Mix together thoroughly then form small balls with your hands and flatten slightly
Bake at 160 degrees C for 5 to 8 minutes. Check regularly to avoid overcooking. Should be golden on edges of biscuits. Don’t worry if they seem a little undercooked to the touch as they will set on cooling and be nice and moist.

** I cook the biscuits for no longer than 6 minutes in my oven, which is fan forced and quite powerful
If you touch the biscuits when they come out the oven, they will feel as though they are not even cooked properly.
Separate them with a spatula if they are touching at the sides and then leave them to set for a few minutes and they will be perfect! **

CHOCOLATE COCONUT SLICE
2 cups self-raising flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup coconut
2 Tbs cocoa powder
200g melted dairy-free margarine/butter
1/4 cup soy or rice milk

Icing:
Icing sugar
2 Tbs cocoa powder
Water

Preheat oven to 180 C
Line a 17cm x 27cm tray with baking paper
Sift flour and cocoa into a mixing bowl, add the rest of the dry ingredients, and mix well
Melt margarine and pour into dry mixture, add the milk and mix well
Press mixture into prepared pan and bake in a moderate oven for 15-20 minutes, cool in tin.
Icing: Combine cocoa and icing sugar in a bowl. Slowly add a little water until it becomes a spreadable consistency.
When slice is completely cool remove from tin and ice with chocolate icing and sprinkle extra coconut over the top. Cut into squares and serve

CHOCOLATE BUTTERFLY TREATS (A fave of DD's!)
Makes about 10
100g dairy-free chocolate
(we use the Sweet Williams brand blocks in milk or white chocolate, they are exactly 100g each)
1/4 cup baby marshmallows
(We use the Mallow Bakes or Schmallows - in the baking section of the supermarket generally)
2 Tbs coconut

Place the chocolate in the top of a double boiler with boiling water in the bottom, heat until the chocolate has melted. Alternately, you can melt in the microwave, but I find it works better on the stove top. wink
Remove from heat and stir through the remaining ingredients
Spoon into moulds (you can get whatever moulds you like, we have a butterfly one) and refrigerate until set
** You can leave out the coconut if you want to **

PEACH AND RASPBERRY SLICE
Base:
125g dairy-free margarine/butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 cup plain flour
1/4 self raising flour

Topping:
1 cup raspberries (can use frozen ones)
250g finely chopped peaches (I have used dried ones before, but is better with fresh)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla
40ml white vinegar

Preheat oven to 180 C
Line a

Sign in to follow this topic