Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Few quick questions Lock Rss

Hi Guys!

So my DD has three meals a day and is slowly progressing to lumpy foods. At the moment her foods are partially blended and/or fork mashed. She is able to eat cooked rice, peas and anything that sized without a problem BUT if I give her finger foods she bites pieces off and either swollows them whole or keeps them in her mouth until her mouth is full. When her mouth is full and I can see she doesn't know what to do about it I have to use my finger to get them out. The bits that she swollows whole she ends up vomiting back up. I've tried toast with a small amount of butter (which she loved the taste of) and cooked carrot, apple, pumpkin. The pumpkin wasn't as much of an issue because she mostly just licked it off her hand rather than bite it.

She hasn't got any teeth yet. She also often chokes and gags on the bits she swollows as well as vomiting them back up.

So what can I do to help her learn to eat?

Also, I was wondering if you could give me some breakfast suggestions?
At the moment she mostly has weatbix with fruits mixed through and a small amount of cows milk, or some mixed fruit on it's own. What else can I give her so she gets a bit of variety? Seems a bit boring to me.

And lastly when is it ok to give her water in her sipper cup that hasn't been boiled first?

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Hi!
If you want some brekky suggestions I have a blog that I write about the foods I cook. I've done some posts on what I give my DS.
I do weetbix and porridge with fruit but also I cook him french toast with mashed banana on it and some other things also.... Anyway the link is in my signature. smile

im pretty sure at that age just tap water is fine for her. when my dd had no teeth i would half mandarin segments and also take that skin stuff off them so its just the juice really and she didnt choke on them for breakfast you could try ricies porrige cocopops nutri grain but let it soak for a while they go really soft. i only started giving her apple once she had teeth but bananas and kiwifruit were soft enough for her aswell. hope this is a little help for you. sometimes you do just get lost for ideas i struggle with lunch ideas now and she eats everything now. maybe pikelets would be softer then toast she might not struggle with that either.

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried mandarin, orange etc but she hates the taste. She picks it up and throws it on the floor; if I try to give it back to her she screams and pushes my hands away.

I might try the porridge but I'm not keen on things like nutrigrain, cocoapops and so on I feel they have too much sugar in them.

I also like the idea of pikelets! I usually make banana ones on weekends for hubby, that is before they got so expensive, so I'll give her one when we have them.

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

they will choke and gag for a bit until they get used to it, I'm not too sure if you can teach them as such.
Banana and avocado are good finger foods as they just mush up with gums so they still have to chew but not too much.
tap water is fine if your on town supply, just run the tap for a bit then fill sippy cup.
Breakfast we do is wheetbix, porridge, french toast, baked beans.
I found cheese is also a good finger food as it goes mushy too.
when DS was first starting on finger food he would often store it then eventually swallow it, sometimes he would gag and bring it back up then keep chewing and try again. Its all just a learning process for them.

I understand they choke and gag a bit when they are learning but this is to the point where I have to whack her on the back or stick my fingers in her mouth to get it out. So I get really concerned about it.

I will deffinately try the avacado. What's the best way to tell they are ripe enough? We don't eat avocado unless we make dip with it so I'm not sure if they need to be riper for her?

thanks! grin

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Hi!
If you want some brekky suggestions I have a blog that I write about the foods I cook. I've done some posts on what I give my DS.
I do weetbix and porridge with fruit but also I cook him french toast with mashed banana on it and some other things also.... Anyway the link is in my signature. smile

Thanks alot for that I've added your blog to my faverites list. grin

Do you make the french toast with eggs whites and yolks?

Thank you!!

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Hi, I'd agree any foods that can be steamed to a softer texture, but she can still bite off herself, like:
pumpkin
sweet potato
apple quarters

Or naturally soft foods like:
banana
pear
strawberry
mango

So she learns to control the food herself as it goes into the mouth and not take it straight to the back of the throat as they do with puree. And she should mush it with her gums and tongue. Thats the theory with Baby Led Weaning where you give the baby whole foods from day one. My DD hads never had an issue with choking and I did it from 6 months

Also for breaky:
porridge
rice porridge
scrambled eggs when you are ready for yolks
congee (with your a keen cook - rice, chicken stock, chicken, egg)
oh, and to diversify away from all wheat and dairy:
oat milk
rice milk
spelt rolled oats
Sign in to follow this topic