Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Does baby need private health insurance cover?

Does baby need private health insurance cover? Lock Rss

Hi
Is it worthwhile to upgrade to a family cover? Would a baby use private health cover? There are no private hospitals for babies, there is no need for dental or optical? Would there be situations where a 0-2 year old need private health cover. Thank you.
You need to update your private health to family or if the baby needs medical help once it is born i don't think it is covered. You may want to look into it with your own insurer, but i know with mine they had to be on it just incase there was something wrong when they were born.

Hi
Is it worthwhile to upgrade to a family cover? Would a baby use private health cover? There are no private hospitals for babies, there is no need for dental or optical? Would there be situations where a 0-2 year old need private health cover. Thank you.

We are with MBF and had to upgrade to family cover 12 months prior to having kids for the kids to be covered as soon as they were born. I think it is worthwhile because if they need medical help when born then you are covered. As for whether they'd need it 0-2 well insurance is for "just in case" - you dont know if you will need it or not but I think better to have it, in our case it did not cost us any extra to add kids to our policy and we have used it once for DD2, she got bronchiolitis at 9 weeks and spent three days in hospital, in her own room in the private section of the paediatric wing.
i let our health fund know i was pregnant, and then when bub was born she automatically went on to our cover. it cost us no more for family cover. we are with medibank.

I added my DS to our private health insurance policy the day he was born. We used it straight away because he was transfered from our local hospital to the NICU at the region's childrens hospital by ambulance. And the bill was something like $500, which the private health insurance covered.
I agree, PHI for a peace of mind. Am going public at Box Hill, and was told any complications at birth for baby is covered under public. DH and me, happen to be on singles with different funds, to upgrade to a basic couple/family cover would be an extra $550-600 a year with Medibank.Was wondering should I upgrade at birth or shall I wait another year, as I cant think of what possible senarios baby would need to use private health. But I just need to check, dont want to play with baby's health. Thanks.
I was told by a helpful lady at HBF to not bother getting cover for your baby because you can just take them to the children's hospital emergency and they get seen anyway. To see the GP is free and if they think your baby is sick they can send you direct to a public hospital. Also in normal emergency rooms sick babies are seen as a priority so they usually get seen first. The public systems good so I dont think theres a need.

First we had Each Other, Then we had You, Now we have Everything

I think it depends on where you live. If you are in a major city that has a childrens hospital then maybe you wouldn't need to. If the baby may need to be transfered to a major hospital by ambulance or air ambulance and you don't have any sort of concession card you may have a huge bill.
My DS2 needed an operation for an abcess when a few months old and because we were private patients (in a country town) the peadiatrician gave us his private mobile number and organised the op that day, we were told it is likely we would have had to wait longer without insurance.
I think it depends on your situation. There are several reasons for insuring bub prior to birth. Namely if your bub is insured at the time of birth than any birth defects (that were not picked up on ultrasound) are covered by the insurance, if you wait until bub is born they are then deemed pre-existing conditions and the usual wait period applies. Of course you can still get medical treatment through the public system in the meantime. If you have a healthy bub then you may not see much use for the insurance initially, however, from personal experience things can go downhill very quickly with little children and you may find yourself needing to use it unexpectedly. My DS1 (now 2) was born with birth defects and has had 2 operations, is waiting on a 3rd. He has spent a total of 8 weeks in hospital and been in Intensive care twice, we used to live in a rural area and had to be flown to a children's hospital by royal flying doctors. We don't have private insurance for him as he was not covered at birth and now the issues are a 'pre-existing condition' but I do believe that having insurance would have made waiting times shorter and life in hospital more bearable.

Just wondering if you are in a rural area because we have a private children's hospital where we live...
Sign in to follow this topic