Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Baby led weaning Rss

My DD is almost 6 months and I'm thinking about baby led weaning, I really don't know much about it though.

Does anyone have any pro's/cons they can tell me about it?
Does baby choke on the food..?
how big/small are the peices you give them?
What sort of food do you start with?
any other tips/info would be great too thanks!!!!
I think BLW is awesome! DD wasn't fussed on purees and was quite independent from the getgo so it really suited us. (I did modify it slightly by giving DD yoghurt or soft cereal myself rather than preloading a spoon so i guess by definition not true BLW.) DD is such a great eater and i believe its because our attitude towards food.

If you search the forum you'll find plenty of great threads but here's my thoughts:

Pros: No need to worry about making/buying food specifically for baby. I just adapted what we were eating to suit. Eg When making a stirfry, taking out veg for DD before adding the soy sauce/chilli etc. Or cutting veg for steaming/baking in a way that would make it easier for DD to hold. Also there is some wasted food to begin with but as time goes on you'll find more in their nappy (evidence that they are actually eating and not just playing lol) than you will squished in the creases of the highchair!
Cons: It can be messy (but oh so fun!) Also if you're easily stressed it may not be for you.

If by choke you mean do they turn blue and require intervention, DD never did. If you mean gag, yeah they do that sometimes if they don't chew it enough or it just goes down the wrong way. Their gag reflex is quite pronounced to begin with (so that they don't choke) but i think the thing to remember is it is a learning curve, no baby goes straight from lying on their back to running and no baby can go from milk straight to eating an apple!

They begin holding food in their palm not their fingers so chip size pieces work best at first and this can change once they develop a pincer grip (picking up with fingers) and coordination. Basically a shape they can hold in their fist and still be able to eat.

I kept to vegies for the first few weeks as i wanted DD to develop a taste for them and not just sweet fruit. Fingers of sweet potato, potato, carrot, zuccini and brocollini 'trees' and moving onto beans, corn on the cob etc. Fruit was fingers of watermelon, rockmelon, orange slices, mango etc. Toast soldiers or avocado slices are other great beginner foods and moving onto pasta, peas, rice etc when they develop their pincer grip.

any other tips/info
-Dont's stress about how much they're eating, at this stage its about fun, exploration and coordination.
-Steam or bake your veg, boiling makes them too mushy. Remember they will squeeze what they hold to begin with so there needs to be some 'substance' to the vegetable.
-Make sure you always supervise them eating, sitting up in their highchair or on your lap.
-Sometimes its easier to strip them down to their nappy to eat, means less washing that way!
-Give options but don't overwhelm to begin with. I would give DD a few pieces of 3 different veg so she could explore the taste, texture, look etc.
-Eat with them; they learn by example and will take cues from you.
-Relax, enjoy the moment and definitely keep the camera handy for those priceless pics!

I was always under the impression that the natural progression of eating was milk, puree, mash, solid but after doing BLW i cannot imagine introducing food any other way! Can't wait to have another baby so we can do it all again!

Oh and sorry for the essay, hope i made some sense! Feel free to PM me!

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

Can't add much to above posters comment, well written smile

In my experience Baby Led Weaning is awesome and so rewarding. My DD is 8months old and can demolish whole pieces of toast and the meat off a chicken leg!
oo i heard about this aswell and it sounds like something id be interested in for DS hes only 3n a half months but id love to find out more. he def not ready just yet but i want to be prepared

how do u get started?? is it just the same as with puree?

oo i heard about this aswell and it sounds like something id be interested in for DS hes only 3n a half months but id love to find out more. he def not ready just yet but i want to be prepared

how do u get started?? is it just the same as with puree?

BLW promote no food of any sort (just breastmilk or formula) until 6 months of age when you are looking for signs of readiness ie they can sit independently and take things to their mouths. DS sat soon after 5 months and we started finger foods just before 6 months after he reached out and grabbed a slice of homemade pizza I was eating and pulled it towards his mouth.

The next day I sat him in the high chair while I did some baking and just gave him some foods to try ie a wedge of pear. One day I gave him a finger of cheese (check brands for salt content) and he sort of gagged and spilled milk so the next day I gave him another stick (with the idea that he would master it). If he coughs etc just ask him "Are you alright?" and stay next to him until he is ok (in case I have to rip him out of the high chair etc). I have found he is actually better off without me interfering.

Since then, about 3 weeks ago, we have been mainly doing individual foods (inc chicken hunks and pork strips) but I am getting my mind into the 'adapted meals' mode. It is taking a bit of thinking as we eat a lot of taco mince with salad. And I am a terrible cook- presently I use a lot of packet meal bases which contain a lot of salt and sugar so I need to think of other meals- ideas anyone?
oh cool thanks. yea i was goin to wait till as close to 6months as possible. (or until he shows signs) he cant sit by himself yet. and is just starting to watch us eat and will sometimes make chewing motions and put his hands in his mouth and chew.
hes def not ready just yet tho.
and do i still intrduce one new food every 3-4days?? incase of allergies?

I think BLW is awesome! DD wasn't fussed on purees and was quite independent from the getgo so it really suited us. (I did modify it slightly by giving DD yoghurt or soft cereal myself rather than preloading a spoon so i guess by definition not true BLW.) DD is such a great eater and i believe its because our attitude towards food.

If you search the forum you'll find plenty of great threads but here's my thoughts:

Pros: No need to worry about making/buying food specifically for baby. I just adapted what we were eating to suit. Eg When making a stirfry, taking out veg for DD before adding the soy sauce/chilli etc. Or cutting veg for steaming/baking in a way that would make it easier for DD to hold. Also there is some wasted food to begin with but as time goes on you'll find more in their nappy (evidence that they are actually eating and not just playing lol) than you will squished in the creases of the highchair!
Cons: It can be messy (but oh so fun!) Also if you're easily stressed it may not be for you.

If by choke you mean do they turn blue and require intervention, DD never did. If you mean gag, yeah they do that sometimes if they don't chew it enough or it just goes down the wrong way. Their gag reflex is quite pronounced to begin with (so that they don't choke) but i think the thing to remember is it is a learning curve, no baby goes straight from lying on their back to running and no baby can go from milk straight to eating an apple!

They begin holding food in their palm not their fingers so chip size pieces work best at first and this can change once they develop a pincer grip (picking up with fingers) and coordination. Basically a shape they can hold in their fist and still be able to eat.

I kept to vegies for the first few weeks as i wanted DD to develop a taste for them and not just sweet fruit. Fingers of sweet potato, potato, carrot, zuccini and brocollini 'trees' and moving onto beans, corn on the cob etc. Fruit was fingers of watermelon, rockmelon, orange slices, mango etc. Toast soldiers or avocado slices are other great beginner foods and moving onto pasta, peas, rice etc when they develop their pincer grip.

any other tips/info
-Dont's stress about how much they're eating, at this stage its about fun, exploration and coordination.
-Steam or bake your veg, boiling makes them too mushy. Remember they will squeeze what they hold to begin with so there needs to be some 'substance' to the vegetable.
-Make sure you always supervise them eating, sitting up in their highchair or on your lap.
-Sometimes its easier to strip them down to their nappy to eat, means less washing that way!
-Give options but don't overwhelm to begin with. I would give DD a few pieces of 3 different veg so she could explore the taste, texture, look etc.
-Eat with them; they learn by example and will take cues from you.
-Relax, enjoy the moment and definitely keep the camera handy for those priceless pics!

I was always under the impression that the natural progression of eating was milk, puree, mash, solid but after doing BLW i cannot imagine introducing food any other way! Can't wait to have another baby so we can do it all again!

Oh and sorry for the essay, hope i made some sense! Feel free to PM me!

Wow, thanks - that is really helpful, I'm getting so excited, can't wait!!!
Sign in to follow this topic