Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Helppppp Starting solids Lock Rss

Hi ladies, I have an almost 5 month old bub, I know it is recommended that babies start solids from
6 months but my bub is 8kg and I think ready for some
Food, Showing lots of interest etc, I have asked friends what they started their babies on an when but there is such a differing view that I have completely forgot what they have said. What is the est thing to start babies on and how much? Do I give her farax or vegetables? I want to make my own food preferably as their is so many preservatives in food these days, just need some help any thoughts/opinions would be very much appreciated smile

Hi ladies, I have an almost 5 month old bub, I know it is recommended that babies start solids from
6 months but my bub is 8kg and I think ready for some
Food, Showing lots of interest etc, I have asked friends what they started their babies on an when but there is such a differing view that I have completely forgot what they have said. What is the est thing to start babies on and how much? Do I give her farax or vegetables? I want to make my own food preferably as their is so many preservatives in food these days, just need some help any thoughts/opinions would be very much appreciated smile

i started dd on sweet potato pureed as she wouldn't eat farex and there was a chance she was allergic to gluten anyway. I think i started her at around the same age and the sweet potato was suggested by my chn. Just start by trying with a tablespoon once-twice a day and gradually increase it and obviously don't forget the 4 day rule (leave it 4 days before trying a new food)good luck its a big milestone smile
I started DS about 3 weeks ago and he loves his food and is on 3 meals a day already. He is near 9 kgs and i started just before 5 months as he was continously hungry.
I started off with farex but like my previous 2 didnt like it so i added a bit of pear to it and he now loves gobbles it down. Then i introduced
pumpkin
sweet potato
carrot
potato
apple
mango
banana
broccoli
sweet corn

however he doesnt tolerate broccoli or banana well at all so we have excluded these from his diet. I initially mixed farex with each new food to dull the taste a bit as i found my son didnt like the strong taste that came with new foods.
have a look at baby led weaning, best to start at 6 months, don't be in a rush to start solids best to start at that age, offer more milk feeds if you need to as milk is where they get all there food from, solids fills them up but they don't get a lot of goodness out of it at this stage,

i did puree with my first two and baby led weaning with my last would rather go with that than the puree if i had of known about it. he is my best eater,

have a wee google and look its really interesting smile
The reasoning for 6 months is the maturity of the digestive system between 4-6 months, and breastfeeding provides a baby with all their nutrition while the baby is young. 6 months is only really a guide - some babies really do need that "extra something" a little bit earlier, especially if they are starting to frequently wake at night when they were previously sleeping well (ofcourse ignoring the frequent wakings for growth spurts). Other signs a baby maybe ready for solids is when they loose the tounge-thrust reflex (basically when if you put something in baby's mouth the tounge goes out rather than back). Also you may notice the baby is interested in watching food you are eating. With baby fed weaning, the theory of waiting until 6 months of later is so they can "feed" themselves, however some babies will not really reach or feed themselves until a little older.

Definitely keep offering as much milk as possible, but if you think baby might be ready for solids, you could try baby rice, or something like potato or pumpkin and breast milk (or formula) that way they are still having more milk.
Thanks ladies smile I might wait a little bit longer the clinic nurse told me to wait until around Christmas or a bit after smile

have a look at baby led weaning, best to start at 6 months, don't be in a rush to start solids best to start at that age, offer more milk feeds if you need to as milk is where they get all there food from, solids fills them up but they don't get a lot of goodness out of it at this stage,

i did puree with my first two and baby led weaning with my last would rather go with that than the puree if i had of known about it. he is my best eater,

have a wee google and look its really interesting smile

i saw some1 else on here talking about BLW and found some books at the library but they are on loan atm sooooo cant wait till i can have a look at them.
DS is only 3.5months so still go a wee while to go but i am def goin to go with the BLW. makes much more sense than puree.
Im another mummy who loves BLW. I did puree with my first and BLW with my second and he is a fantastic eater!! A bit too good sometimes, the kid never stops lol.

I cant find the link now but a lovely lady on here gave me some great links to BLW and lots of info when I find it ill put the link up.

But just google BLW for now and see what you can find. BLW is so much fun and so messy and the start but DS was feeding him self without much mess by 12months. I found it easier as he would just eat what ever we were eating but I would just hold back on seasoning in the begining and if there were any left overs I would just freeze for another day.

There is no right or wrong way to start solids just find what best works for you and your family.

Another BLW thread

Good luck <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

If you want to cook your own food for your baby, I highly recommend Annabel Karmel's baby cookbooks. Recipes are easy to make and delicious! The problem in my household is that I cant keep up with the demand! lol!
I started my DS at 4 1/2 months and havent being able to stop him.
i started him on the 4 Month Farex.
DS is now 6 months and after doing some research, BLW sounds like an awesome idea will def give it a try next time round.

here is a link for BLW
http://www.babyledweaning.com/some-tips-to-get-you-started/
I used the Robin Barker book to give me some ideas on what would work. Though they're all really mashes anyhow! But I'd run out of inspiration

And get some extra bibs. It's pretty messy a LOT of the time lol. I found some cute ones here http://summerchild.com.au/collections/baby-wear
Sign in to follow this topic