Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. At what age do you start feeding solids and giving water for your baby?

At what age do you start feeding solids and giving water for your baby? Lock Rss

Hi all,

Please if you could let me know at what age do you usually give water and starts solids for a baby.

Thanks
With all three boys I started after 6 mths as per recommendations. dd will probably be a way after 6 mths too, I don't see her being ready by 6 mths. Still always offer a breastfeed first but once they start solids are more likely to need extra fluids so offer a little water with meals.
my daugheter started solids yesterday baby cerial she is 4 months and 4 days old and took to it strait away she was showing all th signs that she was ready, like watching me or her daddy eat really interested she was but yes not befor 4 months and closer to 6 months and they say babys shouldnt be given water till atleast 12 months

The latest (and best) research says that breastmilk or formula is the only food or drink baby needs for 6 months. In saying that, food can be started at 4 months at the earliest.

Reasons to delay introduction until 6 months are that babies have a tongue thrust reflex that should be gone by 6 months allowing them to chew and swallow, introducing before 6 months may lead to constipation or tummy aches due to an immature digestive system and also, unless your baby can sit unsupported (which very few can do at 4 months) there is risk of aspiration and choking on food. Some parents will swear by starting at 4 months because they find baby is too hungry or sleeps better after eating solids, but the research is not conclusive on this.

We started at 6 months with baby cereal and then moved to baby led solids (which is when you don't use purees, rather let baby have a selection of finger foods and allow them to eat at their own pace) and it has worked really well.

Parents are very divided on whether to start at 4 or 6 months, you will hear good arguments for both, so do your own research and follow your own instinct. Your baby will not be harmed by waiting until 6 months, so do not start simply because you think they will not get the nutrition they need. In fact, up to 12 months milk is the MAIN dietary requirement. It is important when you start to approach with caution and if baby is not showing interest or seems to not be able to tolerate a spoon or foods in the mouth, stop and try again another time smile

Solids are fun, but enjoy having the pleasant milk poo nappies as long as possible!

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Oh and for water, 6 months as well. But up until age of 12 months it needs to be cooled boiled water to prevent gastro

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

i have been giving my 3 month old son water for about 2 months and the health nurse said it was fine due to the climate in western australia, have not started feeding yet

and they say babys shouldnt be given water till atleast 12 months

Who says that?? I think you'll find it may be 6??

To the OP; we started a week before DD hit the 6 month mark and looking back I really don't think she was ready. Physically.

Just because your baby watches you eat.. does not mean they're ready to start solids!!
My dd is 5mths and i started her on solids at 4.5mths old and have been giving her boiled water since she was 3mths old as i was also told by my maternial health nurse i could do so as it would help my dd with her colic.
hi my dd is 7 and a half months. i started giving her water from when she was about 4 weeks as she started drinking formula and was pretty constipated from it. The water helped heaps! And with food, i think i tried at 4 months. She didnt really like it much. So i waited another month.

With all three boys I started after 6 mths as per recommendations. dd will probably be a way after 6 mths too, I don't see her being ready by 6 mths. Still always offer a breastfeed first but once they start solids are more likely to need extra fluids so offer a little water with meals.

Same here

Sign in to follow this topic