Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. suggestions for 10 month old breakfast

suggestions for 10 month old breakfast Lock Rss

My 10 month old is currently eating the heinz and bellamys breakfasts (rice cereal etc) as he cant tolerate weetbix. For some reasons it gives him the runs. As my 2 previous children never had this problem im stuck as to what i can move him onto as we are all weetbix eaters in the morning. He is not a big milk drinker so need something filling for him.
If you suggest porridge or oats can you please be specific and tell me how to cook it as we have never bought it.
TIA
I was going to suggest porridge, I buy the quick oats and make it in the microwave, just follow the directions on the box, you can make it with water or milk. It's really simple and will fill him up.
I used to cook up a bag of apples (2kg) and a bag of carrots (1kg) in a big pot, then whiz it all up with the stick blender, portion it out and freeze it. When I needed it I'd defrost it and put half the mix (about half a cup) in with some (also about half a cup) rolled oats and heat in the microwave. Leave on the bench for a bit so the oats take up the moisture and become soft. Feed to baby. Baby will be mighty impressed grin
The best thing about it is that the quality and consistency is completely up to you. You can choose organic fruit and veg if that's how you roll. You can add more oats or fruit mix depending on what you may need to achieve at the 'other end' lol. Add some pear for variety.
Maybe you could try giving him yoghurt, fruit and muesli? Or french toast?
i have instatnt porridge i the cupboard you just mix it with half a cup of milk and microwave for 90 seconds easy as DS likes it now but he never used to he likes toast too and special k
Tutu & Lulu beat me to it!!

My DD loves homemade pancakes and omlettes. We also have can spagetti in toasty toasty's!!
home-made muffins packed with fruit, veg and grains.
If weetbix give him the runs, but baby porridge doesn't, I'd keep an eye on it with normal oats too, my little girl is a bit sensetive to gluten (and dairy!) and has the same reaction. I use rice flakes (find them in the alternative/gluten free section of the supermarket) to make porridge for my little girl and she adores it. Usually I mix it with fruit (pureed apples, strawberries, kiwi, bananas, sultana alsorts!)and it can be cooked with water or diluted juice instead of milk too (its a bit horrible on its own I think!) most of the baby porridges are made from rice flakes and millet, so its really just a chunkier version, but it can be blended up really easily if they don't like lumps smile
also, if they can eat it, try baked beans. Yum!
Good luck

My 10 month old is currently eating the heinz and bellamys breakfasts (rice cereal etc) as he cant tolerate weetbix. For some reasons it gives him the runs. As my 2 previous children never had this problem im stuck as to what i can move him onto as we are all weetbix eaters in the morning. He is not a big milk drinker so need something filling for him.
If you suggest porridge or oats can you please be specific and tell me how to cook it as we have never bought it.
TIA

Rice bubbles are pretty good sugar wise if your looking at boxed cereals.

French toast fingers (Soak bread in wisked eggs and fry on a medium heat in a small amount of butter. you can then dust with icing sugar, cinamin and caster sugar, spread with honey/golden syrup or even spread with jam)

Piklets (google a quick recipe or buy the shake bottles)

fruit salad (I started by giving dd those small fruit salad containers you get in the tin fruit aisle. I used to drain off the juice and then put yoghurt on and feed her. These days I give her pieces of fresh chopped fruit and then give her yoghurt seperate)

Fruit fritters (make a simple runny batter and coat pieces of banana, apple, pineapple or whatever else you have and fry in a small amount of butter)

Hope I've helped. grin

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Bircher muesli is awesome as you can make a batch and have in the fridge for the whole family for a couple of days. Low fat, low GI, and for some reason, even though my son and hubby both hate porridge (I love it) they love Bircher.....shhhhh, don't tell them it's basically cold porridge!!!
I have a good Apple Maple version that my family love on my blog, if you want to check it out.
Also, muffins are good and handy for the rest of the family for lunch boxes.
If you fancy checking out my Bircher it's here -
http://keepingupwiththeholsbys.com
Also, puffed brown rice and puffed corn are both available in the Macro aisle of woolies and they are straight up, no sugar, no additives. Can be handy in the cupboard or in recipes.
I found my son loved porridge, but I cook my a little different. I first peal, chop up and cook an apple in water. Save the water and use it to cook whole oats (I cant stand the quick stuff) with a little bit of cinnamon. When cooked mix in the apple.
Another one would be porridge with smashed up blueberries, or banana ect. As my son loves fruit and I hate the thought of sugar, I would always add some fruit to it. Its really quick and easy to make, and is also a healthy and yummy breakfast for mummy too.
Weet-Bix has not been designed nor is it classified as an infant cereal, but we believe that it is a nutritious and appropriate cereal suitable for children to consume from 8-9 months of age. At this time, the infant’s kidney and digestive system have matured and are able to tolerate foods such as Weet-Bix, which is higher in protein and dietary fibre. Also, foods comparable to Weet-Bix, such as wholemeal bread are often introduced at the age of 9 months. At this young age, it’s best to offer Weet-Bix only once per day and also, infants are likely only to eat 1 Weet-Bix; which naturally reduces the amount of fibre consumed in the one sitting.

Weet-Bix can provide significant amounts of B vitamins and carbohydrates and is a source of iron. Iron is essential for normal growth and development, and cereals that are classified as infant cereals have a higher iron content which is important to be aware of.
The NZ Ministry of Health Guidelines recommends Wheat breakfast biscuits for Infants aged from 8 months in its Food and Nutrition for healthy infants and toddlers (Aged 0-2)#.
# Food and Nutrition Guidelines for Healthy Infants and Toddlers (Aged 0-2): A background paper

If eating Weeet-Bix is causing diarrhoea one possibility is that your son may have a wheat intolerance. It may be worthwhile going to your GP to discuss this possibility and arrange for wheat sensitivity testing.

All the best with this
The Sanitarium Nutrition Team
Sign in to follow this topic