Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. is my breast milk enough or is it time for formula?

is my breast milk enough or is it time for formula? Lock Rss

my son is 4 months old i give him solids once a day. i've been run down lately so i've been breastfeeding and giving him a bit of formula after because he still seems hungry.. he is so much more settled with formula..

is it possible that my breast milk isnt enough for him?? he's takes forever to feed.. i have multiple let downs. he feeds on each side for about 40-60 minutes in total sometimes.

i really do want to persist with breast feeding but i just wanted to hear some advice

Only you know the answer to that. People can say what they think, but at the end of the day, its your baby and your boobs. no one else knows exactly whats going on in your situation. Do whatever feels most comfortable.
hello , yup it always feels like formula is better for bubs... I throught the same untill one day I spoke to a lactation consultant... And I changed my thinking......yes she is getting enough I throught and since then everything fell into place however I still express daily at night when she is in bed as she needs 100 mil top up before bed! she is 9 months old and not eating food....so milk is it for today maybe she might eat in a few days! anyway back to you ! if your feeling run down your milk will probably not be enough and a feed should only take 30 minutes max so if any longer bubs could be comfort sucking!
squeese the nipple see if anything left or if booby emtpy! if your worried not enough milk just keep putting bubs on booby ALOT ...do this for a week or so and wala you will have alot more milk!!
hang in there because it does have its hard times but I find breastfeeding so good now because I can just feed bubs anywhere no bottles and no mess!!!!
good luck with what ever decision you come to! and there is nothing wrong with stopping breastfeeding either you have done a amazing job to get to here!!
Gsxrness wrote:
hello , yup it always feels like formula is better for bubs... I throught the same untill one day I spoke to a lactation consultant... And I changed my thinking......yes she is getting enough I throught and since then everything fell into place however I still express daily at night when she is in bed as she needs 100 mil top up before bed! she is 9 months old and not eating food....so milk is it for today maybe she might eat in a few days! anyway back to you ! if your feeling run down your milk will probably not be enough and a feed should only take 30 minutes max so if any longer bubs could be comfort sucking!
squeese the nipple see if anything left or if booby emtpy! if your worried not enough milk just keep putting bubs on booby ALOT ...do this for a week or so and wala you will have alot more milk!!
hang in there because it does have its hard times but I find breastfeeding so good now because I can just feed bubs anywhere no bottles and no mess!!!!
good luck with what ever decision you come to! and there is nothing wrong with stopping breastfeeding either you have done a amazing job to get to here!!

Totally agree smile
He is just growing, stick to what you are doing, the more you bf, the more milk u make. If ur not keen on formula perhaps provide more solids. My no.2 was so underweight I had to put fatty supplements into purees such as, butter, olive oil etc.
Sign in to follow this topic