Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. How/When do you introduce solids to a demand BF baby?

How/When do you introduce solids to a demand BF baby? Lock Rss

Oh gosh two bouncy boys... I've never ever known oc to purposefully offend anyone, and I'm 100% sure she didn't mean to sound judgemental. Topics on here are like that... Everyone freely offers opinions and bounces ideas around, it's not meant offensively.

Two bouncy boys wrote:
OC1246 wrote:
Kiwi_mum_of_1 wrote:
Tell her not to stress it, bubs will let her know when he's ready some babies aren't ready until much older then the norm. I know many who weren't interested until 8-10 months old. I would just keep offering and remember to start with purees preferably more plan flavored like baby rice and slowly introduce new textures and tastes as he becomes better at eating. This will help his palate adjust, will be easy on his tummy and help him learn how to eat and chew food correctly. I don't want to derail the thread, but just wanted to say you don't need to start with purees especially if the kid is already 8 months old. I also disagree with using processed foods as a first food and purees don't teach a baby how to eat and chew food correctly. Just sayin. smile

Did I say give processed food? NO!!! You can easily make your own puree even though there is actually nothing wrong with the stuff in the jar (it's not like other jarred foods) and I only suggested baby rice as an example which is recommended by professionals there are also many brands to choose from and some are organic and not as processed. Maybe you should read before being a self righteous judgmental hippy!
errrr...ok. I was only referring to the rice cereal as the processed food as in its not in its original state. I wasn't referring to homemade or organic at all...
Two bouncy boys wrote:
Its also good to get them used to the textures slowly otherwise some children choke why not do it the safer easier way? My eldest I was talked into giving him normal food before he was ready and having to get your child too cough something up while choking is not a very nice experience for any mother. I know a child who died at 18 months old when given an apple at daycare when he wasn't used to that sort of texture, he choked to death no one could save him not even the ambulance staff. So excuse me for being on the safe side.
there is a perception that blw is a choking risk which isn't so. Its only a choking risk if you give the wrong foods before your baby is ready. People also confuse choking and gagging. When a baby gags people assume it is choking, they panic and then refuse to give that food again for ages. gagging is a natural reflex and one you want them to have. There is an increased choking risk when people spoon feed their babies purees before they are ready more so then babies that do blw when they are ready.
In your case, as you said you gave him "normal" foods before he was ready. That has nothing to do with BLW being wrong, its just that he wasn't ready for whatever you gave him. BLW is progressive. With purees you go from smooth to lumpy and gradually increase it. BLW is the same, except you don't use purees and they feed themselves with the appropriate food.
chalys 'n' J wrote:
Oh gosh two bouncy boys... I've never ever known oc to purposefully offend anyone, and I'm 100% sure she didn't mean to sound judgemental. Topics on here are like that... Everyone freely offers opinions and bounces ideas around, it's not meant offensively.
+1
\
OC1246 wrote:
Two bouncy boys wrote:
Its also good to get them used to the textures slowly otherwise some children choke why not do it the safer easier way? My eldest I was talked into giving him normal food before he was ready and having to get your child too cough something up while choking is not a very nice experience for any mother. I know a child who died at 18 months old when given an apple at daycare when he wasn't used to that sort of texture, he choked to death no one could save him not even the ambulance staff. So excuse me for being on the safe side. there is a perception that blw is a choking risk which isn't so. Its only a choking risk if you give the wrong foods before your baby is ready. People also confuse choking and gagging. When a baby gags people assume it is choking, they panic and then refuse to give that food again for ages. gagging is a natural reflex and one you want them to have. There is an increased choking risk when people spoon feed their babies purees before they are ready more so then babies that do blw when they are ready.

I'm not referring to gagging by any means! I am well aware of the difference! I have a cert in health science it would be a worry if I didn't. My SIL has a bachelors degree with honors in ECE and a Masters in ECE these are things I am well aware of, also with 2 children aged 5 and 13 months. Like I said this child was most definitely at the recommended age for such foods being 18 months old but all children as i'm sure your aware develop at different stages and their abilities to eat and process such foods also develop at different ages.
Why not be safe? even if you only need to give the first couple of stages for a couple of days just to ease them into it.
Two bouncy boys wrote:
\OC1246 wrote:
Two bouncy boys wrote:
Its also good to get them used to the textures slowly otherwise some children choke why not do it the safer easier way? My eldest I was talked into giving him normal food before he was ready and having to get your child too cough something up while choking is not a very nice experience for any mother. I know a child who died at 18 months old when given an apple at daycare when he wasn't used to that sort of texture, he choked to death no one could save him not even the ambulance staff. So excuse me for being on the safe side. there is a perception that blw is a choking risk which isn't so. Its only a choking risk if you give the wrong foods before your baby is ready. People also confuse choking and gagging. When a baby gags people assume it is choking, they panic and then refuse to give that food again for ages. gagging is a natural reflex and one you want them to have. There is an increased choking risk when people spoon feed their babies purees before they are ready more so then babies that do blw when they are ready.

I'm not referring to gagging by any means! I am well aware of the difference! I have a cert in health science it would be a worry if I didn't. My SIL has a bachelors degree with honors in ECE and a Masters in ECE these are things I am well aware of, also with 2 children aged 5 and 13 months. Like I said this child was most definitely at the recommended age for such foods being 18 months old but all children as i'm sure your aware develop at different stages and their abilities to eat and process such foods also develop at different ages.

errr...look you seem to be taking it all very personally. I am talking in general. Not about you specifically unless I refer to it. I made my original post because you implied that purees was the only way. The op was talking about blw with an 8.5 month old so it was relevant that she be aware that purees are not the only way by any means especially with a baby that age.
Two bouncy boys wrote:
Why not be safe? even if you only need to give the first couple of stages for a couple of days just to ease them into it.
Its a little hard to have a proper discussion about this as your perception of blw is based on a couple of non relevant experiences that you are putting into the same category. There is a lot of info about blw on the net if you want to learn more, but I don't want to detract from the original thread.
OC1246 wrote:
Two bouncy boys wrote:
Why not be safe? even if you only need to give the first couple of stages for a couple of days just to ease them into it. Its a little hard to have a proper discussion about this as your perception of blw is based on a couple of non relevant experiences that you are putting into the same category. There is a lot of info about blw on the net if you want to learn more, but I don't want to detract from the original thread.

I'm well aware about BLW! I wasn't just referring to BLW. I somewhat practise baby lead weaning with my youngest with a few minor alterations to how some people do it. He lets me know when he's ready for a new texture and favor. I also studied pregnancy, childbirth and baby care in high school. ERRR your infuriating how you think you know what I know!
Little Miss's wrote:
Two bouncy boys wrote:
I also studied pregnancy, childbirth and baby care in high school. ERRR your infuriating how you think you know what I know!

You are infuriating because you can't see anyone else's point of view. You studied in highschool and you think you know everything! Come on, you are being way to argumentative and aggressive.

Excuse me I never had a problem with anyone else's point of view I had a problem with OC quoting my comment and having a go at me about it. Of course that's going to get my back up! She is the one who thinks shes knows it all. She was the one telling me I don't know what baby lead weaning is and commenting on my apparent lack of experience.
Two bouncy boys.... I am in no way having a go at you, your comments or your experience. I quote comments that are relevant to my posts otherwise they make no sense when I refer to aspects of them. Some people skim read threads and if you don't quote it's easy for it to make no sense. It doesn't mean people are having a go, just that they are talking about info in another post.

I have no idea what you know and I don't pretend to. I am only going by the comments in your posts such as "why wouldn't you do it the safe way?" And using examples such as a toddler choking on apple. Comments such as these suggest to me that there are some aspects to blw that you don't quite get. (Said in the nicest possible way.) this has gotten a little out of hand. If you have any other issues with me specifically you can pm me or start another thread.
Sign in to follow this topic