Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Solids Lock Rss

Even giving food at 4mths is controversial, before that is not recommended so not sure why you'd be doing it. There's no reason why finger foods can't be the first foods. Ideally if they can't pick it up and put it into their own mouth that would suggest they're not ready for it.
Always breastmilk before food until much closer to 12mths
What's the reasoning you are starting early? Have you had advice from dr or paed? Just curious that's all?

It's awhile before you replace milk feed with solids. Start with a few tspn and then work from there. Milk is the most important nutrionally until 12 months too. I had a chart I used which when I find it I will link it for you which gives a guide of what foods to introduce when and how many milk feeds. I always started with foods like avocado, banana and sweet potato. Many people do BLW which is just finger foods from 6 months. So 6 months is a good age to start soft finger foods.

Here is the link to the chart I roughly followed
http://www.cadencehealth.com.au/uploads/8/7/8/9...

When do you start replacing a feed with soilds?
Solids shouldn't really replace milk until later on - if you demand feed you will just notice your baby starts feeding less and less as time goes on, for now you should BF your baby before solids until they are around 8-9 months and then you BF your baby after solids after then (or FF or whatever)

At 4 months how much should you be feeding them?
a tiny amount... like 1-2 tsp once a day.

When do you start finger foods?
up to you really.... some people don't give their babies purees at all they just go straight to finger food. I started giving my DS bits and pieces around 8 months I'd go toast to start with as opposed to sandwiches - less of a choking hazard apparently.

And as for starting early I encourage you to reign in solids until 4 months at least,,,, just because you started already doesn't mean you can't stop again for a while. It may be 'your decision' but HIS digestive system is simply not ready and could lead to problems for him later on. Don't care if you don't want to hear it. This is the internet and I can say what I like tongue
Not sure how old your bubs is but my paed said the new advice is 4-6 months so thats ok as long as he has good head control. You don't start replacing feeds until much later as milk needs to come first. My dd has 3 feeds a day. I use baby ice cube trays to freeze bathes of food and find she eats one ice cube worth at each meal or there abouts.
Stick to one feed for a while and the introduce pear, apple, pumpkin or sweet potato. Baby food jars are cookd at very high temps so won't have as many nutrients as home made foods (my friend is a food scientist who worked on baby purees at one stage).
Just take it slow and follow your babies cues.

Also a lot of ppl here do finger foods or baby led weaning. Its not for everyone and I personally did purees first.
Anabel karmel books are good for ideas on what and when to feed them. Maybe google her?
I agree your baby, your decision.

ProudToBeAMummy wrote:
I just have a few questions about solids. I have already started giving ds a spoon full of potato/baby cereal/some mixed canned baby foods sometimes, just to get him use to taste and texture. He has started opening his mouth when he sees the spoon and at 4 months I plan on increasing the amount I am giving him.

When do you start replacing a feed with soilds?
At 4 months how much should you be feeding them? (Baby food cans are huge! I plan on making some foods myself aswell)
When do you start finger foods? (Sandwichs, fruits etc)

Any other advice would be awesome, thanks smile

P.s: please no one comment telling me I am starting solids to early.
My baby, my decision.

I didn't start any of mine on solids until 6 months they were quite happy with milk and then when we did start it was slowly.
At 4 months I would only be offering 1-2 tea spoons at the most, I wouldn't start replacing milk feeds for a while yet, not until they are eating equivalent of a meal, really they don't need much to start with.

Finger foods you can introduce at 6 months, but I would be making sure baby can sit up properly in the high chair and can pick up the foods himself first. Sandwiches etc I didn't start until 10-11 months.

Maybe have a chat with your child health nurse or doctor if you are serious about starting solid so early, the babies digestive system needs to be ready and able to handle the foods you are feeding them, there are reasons they advice to wait until a certain age to start feeding them.
grin
ProudToBeAMummy wrote:
Well now I feel like the worst mother in the world. My gp told me to start early because she thinks my milk wont be enough for him soon but I plan on bf for as long as humanly possible. I was just doing what I thought was best for my son. I will rethink my stance but some people really do not have to be mean about it. I dont understand why mothers seen to think they can judge other mothers for trying to do whats best for their children.

I really don't know why some dr's say this to some women, undermines us! Unless there is a real reason like failure to thrive ect your breast milk IS enough! At around 3 months babies go through a growth spurt so (seemingly) feed around the clock. Its not because you are not enough smile and seriously, I was exhausted enough from breast feeding and lack of sleep/ housework ect at that age to even think about adding solids in the mix. Delay I say for as long as possible even if for practical reasons! too much extra work. grin

just to add- Please don't feel bad! You are not a bad mother!! After all we can only work with the info given to us! smile

ProudToBeAMummy wrote:
Well now I feel like the worst mother in the world. My gp told me to start early because she thinks my milk wont be enough for him soon but I plan on bf for as long as humanly possible. I was just doing what I thought was best for my son. I will rethink my stance but some people really do not have to be mean about it. I dont understand why mothers seen to think they can judge other mothers for trying to do whats best for their children.

Time to get another GP. If you introduce solids early then it WILL affect your milk production. When you substitute another source of nutrition for your own milk that's always going to have an impact.
ProudToBeAMummy wrote:
Coastie...girl wrote:
Did your GP actually say to start solids prior to 4 mths?

Yes, I went to her about a week and a half ago and she said I should have already started before now.

wacko blink moron
ProudToBeAMummy wrote:
He is having about 4-5 wet nappies a day. And he is just under 7kgs. He is grumpy and upset right now sad

I know all babies are different and this isn't a weight discussion, but just wanted to reassure you that my DS was 6.95 kg at 7 months smile I'm not concerned as he is following his curve on the chart.

It's really hard to know what to do for the best, maybe have a google of BLW and see what you think. We did this and came across it when googling 'introducing solids' as I wasn't sure what the best way for us to go about it was and the BLW suited us really well, DS is now 9 months and eats everything we do smile

Haya my dd1 didnt start solids until 6mnths and dd2 5mnths so im not much help there, but if i remember correctly i gave them boob first then food until about 12months, then it went food first and boob was more of a drink lol (also started cows milk at 12months) as for finger food it was about 7months, little sammys and soft fruit.
Good luck with the transition to solids grin
Sign in to follow this topic