Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Solids and teething help!!! Rss

Hi all,

I am a first time mum of a 6mth old boy and he is teething and I have been on solids for almost a month now.

I am a little confused as some mums are telling me to do this and do that and they some times conflict with each other.

I am wondering when should I start on other foods like toast and fruits and other foods other than cereal (baby's first cereal) and custards.....

As for the teething part at what age should his teeth come up and what other things can i try other than panadol.. ( I feel guilty giving it to him ) to help relieve the pain. I have tried bonjela and natrual teething tablets..

He still wakes during the night as well...

I am at a loss.....

Not sure in what to do. Can any one help????

Cheers

Tanya
mickandtan77@bigpond.com

Tan,QLD,Connor 2, Mackayla 2wks old

Hi,
i also find that magazines and books on feeding your baby solids is confusing and they conflict with each other. My daughter is 7 1/2 months and i have been giving her all sorts of different foods from 6 months and i just followed the heinz baby book as a guide to what to feed her. if you want i could send you an email with what it says

Jessica, mum to baby Bonnie, NSW

I think you could certainly start trying out some veges and fruit now. Just start one veg or fruit at a time, then slowly start to mix them. I used to buy a big tin of pears, or apples or something (in natural juice) and then put it through the processor. Then for a difference I would feed my baby fruit mixed with cereal, or just plain fruit. I just divided up the leftovers and froze them. You can put food in ice cube trays to freeze and then defrost what is needed.
I think it would be fine to give bits of toast, you just need to keep a good eye on bubs to watch for choking. Most likely though, your baby will just suck on it for now. I've already given my 4month old a bit of toast to chew on...I just took it from her when it got too soggy, cos I didn't actually want her to eat any of it.
Have you tried teething rusks yet? They might help during the day with teething,...once again, just keep an eye on bubs, but they should be fine.
Hope all this helps, and doesn't confuse the matter further.
Georgina
Sorry, I forgot about the teething question,.....I think my daughter got her first tooth around 6months. However, each baby gets their teeth at different ages. For example, my baby had 8 teeth by her 1st birthday, but a friend the same age, only had 4 teeth. There is not a normal age for teeth to come. Generally they start teething around six months, but it could be earlier or later.
Don't worry, the teeth will come when they're ready,....have you tried cooled teething rings to help with the teething? there's also a dummy out now, made by Happy Baby, that is called a 'gummy'. It's supposed to be good for teething....I've never tried it before, but it looks like a good invention. The plastic teat part of the dummy is shaped for baby's gums, so they can chew on it and help their sore gums at the same time.
Dear Jessica,

Thankyou so much for your reply..

I know what you mean with all the books. God know how much I have spent on them...

If you dont mind in sending me the email that would be great.

My email is mickandtan77@bigpond.com.

Do you find it hard in meeting people with children arround the same age as your own??

Thanks again.

Tanya

Dear Georgina,

Thankyou for all your advice.. And no it hasnt made it any more confusing.. I like to hear from mothers them selves as the advise i am getting from time to time is from people whos children are like 20 - 30 by now.. If you know what I mean. So hearing from a mum that has young children is great.

I will try the fruit and toast!! Connor should enjoy them....

Yeah I've tried the rusks and teething rings.. He gets frustrated easy so he just chucks them away....

I hope that all of the teething process isnt going to be as bad as this lot!!!!!

Just one more thing what do you think about yoghurts????

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers

Tanya
mickandtan@bigpond.com

Tanya

This prob won't help you - but will help you know you are not alone!!!

Bennett has been teething for 8 weeks and still no teeth. For the past 4 nights or so he has been waking at night every 90 minutes.

I feel like a zombie

with regards to the solids a fantastic book I found was by Robin Barker called Toddler and Baby Food - its about $30 but worth every cent - very straight forward and also gives you guidelines but reinforces that its ok to do what you feel is best that you don't have to do what "they" say.

Keep us posted

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi Tanya,
About the yoghurts, I think they should be fine to try. You'd probably be better off starting with something plain with not much sugar. You could always get plain yoghurt or the natural stuff and add your own fruit to that too. Naomi loved yoghurt....which reminds me, I should get some more for her,....we don't have it that often. But yes, I think it would be fine for bubs to have.
As for teething, I think I am starting to remember now how grizzly Naomi was until her first tooth came through....I guess I'm going to go through it all again soon!
I think I've been one of the lucky ones. Most of Naomi's teeth came through with no problems at all. Most of her first 8 teeth (the four top and bottom flat teeth) came through without me even noticing them....every so often we'd check and say "oh wow! there's another tooth coming!" It really wasn't a big problem. We've only really had more trouble with her molars and her eye teeth are currently popping up and down in her gums, they haven't actually broken through yet, so every so often she wakes at night, but I just give her some bonjela or panadol and she goes back off to sleep.
I have heard though of people who have a really hard time with each tooth. Teeth are a pain...literally!
Let's hope your first one comes through soon...they are sooo cute when they have one or two little teeth and they give you a toothy grin!
Glad I can be of some help.....ask whatever you like....I'm going through the baby thing again for the 2nd time in two years, so it's like I'm doing a refresher course at the moment! It's amazing how each baby can be so different!
Georgina
Dear Stephanie,

Thankyou for your reply. Its good to know that I am not alone and that Connor just isnt trying to test me..

Last night Connor was waking every 5 mins and just absolutly crying/screaming....

He has a stuffy nose and a bit of a fever.... I game him a hit of panadol and had his vaporisor on but my god I never thought that it would stop....

He finally settled at 12 then was up again at 2.30 -3.00am and has been up since... So in the sleeping section I am lacking big time...

I tried Connor with vegimite toast thismorning and did we make a mess. It was good fun though... All he done was sucked on it....

Thankyou for your reply. Keep in touch.

Tanya
mickandtan77@bigpond.com

Tanya

Sounds like you had a rough night last night - mine was the opposite Bennett only woke a couple of times and came into bed with me at 7 and slept till 9 wink then we went and had lunch with Hubby in the city. It such a lovely day in Melbourne today.

Have you taken Connor to the Drs to see if he has an ear infection? Maybe try taking him to a chiro?

Steph

Stephanie,

Glad that you guys had a great day.....

Yeah I took him to see his GP and he just has a touch of the flu and teeth are playing up she said.. Definatly no ear infections as we have already had a bad one....

My husband is over in Las Vegas at the moment so finding it a bit tough on my own..... And I am missing him like crazy...

Last night wasnt too bad in the sleeping department but I am feeling it today..

Thanks for your email.

Cheers

Tan

Las Vegas!!! Lucky duck - poor you though

Bennett is sleeping a tad better as his ezcema is improving but still no teeth and at least every second night in our bed tongue

Steph

Sign in to follow this topic