Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Neocate Lock Rss

Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone has had issues getting their bubs to eat solids when they are on Neocate formula?
My gorgeous DS is now 16 months old, and he doesn't eat! I'm wondering if the formula has something to do with it? (grasping at straws, really) I don't know what to do to get him to eat, but the Neocate somehow keeps him healthy and growing.
TIA

Tickled*pink wrote:
How much formula is he having a day?

He's having 3 x 210ml bottles (one when he wakes up, one before his 11:30am nap, and one at bedtime) plus a 150ml one at around 2/3pm.

Nai&BE wrote:
Hey Mel is there a reason why he still needs to be on the formula? Id say hes probably having too many bottles as well. Could you try just a morning and night bottlr but after his breakfast and dinner? Id also switch to cows milk if theres no reason he still needs to be having formula.

Hey Nai,
Thanks for the reply. The formula he is on is a special prescription formula, as he is allergic to dairy. I'd love to put him on cows milk, but it's not an option for him. I'm going to take him for the full allergy testing at 18 months, but he will have to stay on formula until then :/

Mumof2hunnys wrote:
Hi Mel
He isn't hungry as he is having way too much milk. 250ml a day is enough at that age.

250ml? Really? blink
He doesn't swallow solids, so he's literally starving when he has his bottles.

Meal times for him go like this:
I give him a finger food thing (which he plays with, bites and spits out before swallowing) try to give him some sort of spoon food (which he absolutely refuses) then I try another finger food thing, and he just does the same as before, bites it then spits it out.
I have literally spent hours cooking and baking special egg/nut/dairy-free foods for him, beautiful dinners, but he just won't eat!

Mum Of 3 Cuties wrote:
I agree with Nai.

I would try and drop the afternoon tea bottle and reduce the amount in the others.

DD (22mths) still enjoys her milk but we have dropped the amounts drastically. She has a wake up, am nap and bed time bottle. The wake up is 120ml and the other two are 150ml.

I tried dropping the afternoon tea bottle today, as he woke up super late this morning, so he'd had his nap over an hour later than normal. He didn't eat any better at dinner, and he was really desperate for his bedtime bottle. I might give it a try for a few days and see if it improves at all.

Mum Of 3 Cuties wrote:
You might need to enquire about a referral to an OT or dietician to investigate oral aversion. Once of my boys had a problem with eating and we discovered it was oral aversion and sensory processing issues.

That's interesting. I haven't heard of that before. I will talk to the pead when I go for the allergy testing next month. Was it an easy fix? What did you have to do? (if you don't mind my asking)

Hi there, has he been eating with you at meal times or by himself? The playing, biting and spitting out is very normal - it's how they learn to eat. They need to be allowed to do this at mealtimes from the start. I have no idea what his history of solids is though.
I have no idea if the not swallowing is a medical thing or he just doesn't like it or isn't used to it.

Without knowing his solids history Some of this May or may not be relevant to you....with solids it's important they join you at mealtimes so they can copy you. They need to play with it, they need to get messy etc if he hasn't done this from the start he mày need to learn how to do this. Aargh have to go..
Mum Of 3 Cuties wrote:
To be honest there was nothing in particular that we did because our SLT was useless.

In the end through a process of eliminations we worked out that other than his bottle he didn't like plastic so we avoided all sippy cups and went straight to glassware.

He still has problems with some foods - cauliflower and broccoli heads are the worst so he is exempt from the heads (because retching at the table doesn't help anyone) but can tolerate the stalks so he has those. He doesn't like cooked carrots but loves capsicum and cucumber because they too are crunchy.

Squidgy foods bothered him so it was mostly crunchy foods that he ate as a toddler and now he is still a crunchy lover but is ok with squidgy things now. Banana's he likes the thought of but never manages to eat a whole one.

It was a little bit a case of time and figuring out what did and didn't work and then trying to work around it.

Thanks for that smile He really sounds similar to my DS. He also likes crunching on things, so I give him crackers or veggie crisps. He also likes things thru a straw, so I try and find liquid things for him. I do my best to try not to let it stress me out, and I always try to be positive with feeding him. It's just a bit disheartening sometimes.

OC1246 wrote:
Hi there, has he been eating with you at meal times or by himself? The playing, biting and spitting out is very normal - it's how they learn to eat. They need to be allowed to do this at mealtimes from the start. I have no idea what his history of solids is though.
I have no idea if the not swallowing is a medical thing or he just doesn't like it or isn't used to it.

Without knowing his solids history Some of this May or may not be relevant to you....with solids it's important they join you at mealtimes so they can copy you. They need to play with it, they need to get messy etc if he hasn't done this from the start he mày need to learn how to do this. Aargh have to go..

Thanks OC.
I waited until after his 6 month allergy testing to start solids with him, knowing already that he had food sensitivities. I started him on farex and purees. He was never really that keen, but I always stopped when he lost interest. At one point, he was eating 2 Tbsp soy yoghurt for breakfast, and 1/2 or a whole jar of fruit/veg puree for lunch and dinner. But then he started refusing to eat from a spoon around 11 months. It was a real struggle to get him to eat anything at all. I would give him objects to play with to distract him while I fed him, or had the TV on, just so I could get something into him.
I tried giving him finger foods, I ate with him at breakfast and lunch every day (we eat dinner late as DH gets home after 6pm most days), I'd even put a little bowl of soy yoghurt inside my bowl so it was like we were even eating out of the same bowl.
He surprises me sometimes. Like tonight, he swallowed a mouthful of chicken! And last week he ate raisins every day, but he won't touch them this week. I'm at a bit of a loss really.

Do you try giving food before bottles? DS2 is a little bit older than your son but he has two bottles a day - one when he wakes up and one before bed. The rest of the day he eats normal food and drinks water from sippy cups. I just put little platters out for him with finger foods and he helps himself. I would also do dinner earlier, after 6pm is quite late for a baby to eat dinner. Sounds like he is just filling up on milk and is not really that hungry for food, but I would check with paed anyway. Good luck!

Anirtak wrote:
Do you try giving food before bottles? DS2 is a little bit older than your son but he has two bottles a day - one when he wakes up and one before bed. The rest of the day he eats normal food and drinks water from sippy cups. I just put little platters out for him with finger foods and he helps himself. I would also do dinner earlier, after 6pm is quite late for a baby to eat dinner. Sounds like he is just filling up on milk and is not really that hungry for food, but I would check with paed anyway. Good luck!

Thanks Anirtak.
I do offer him snacks through the day. I've got two little containers and he will point to one when he wants something. I put crackers, veggie crisps, raisins, dried apricots, etc for him to have through the day ~ which he usually drops somewhere in the house once he's sucked the flavour off it!

If I stopped giving him milk through the day, that would be like starving him into submission, and I can't bring myself to do that. If he was eating something I would put less milk in his bottles and slowly wean him off them, but he's depending on this formula as pretty much his sole source of nutrition! It's so hard to know what to do.

Just to clarify - DS doesn't eat dinner with us. We eat after he has gone to bed. He has dinner between 5 and 5:30pm, not that he eats very much then :/

Sign in to follow this topic