Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. 11 month old refusing to drink water, help!

11 month old refusing to drink water, help! Rss

As the title says, my 11 month old DD seems to have an aversion to drinking water and I don't know how I can get her to like it.
She is still breastfed and I feed her quite frequently because she won't have any other fluids. We filter our water so it doesn't taste weird or anything. She's never had fruit juice as I would prefer her to get used to and liking water first. I've tried all sorts of bottles and because she couldn't get the hang of the sippy cup we went straight to a cup. She can drink from a cup, however she will take a few sips and then let it all dribble out of her mouth. I've even tried syringes but as soon as she realises it's water she spits it out.
I try not to make a big deal out of it as I keep offering her water with every meal as well as plenty of fruit, however I do worry that she's sometimes a bit constipated as she often only has a bowel movement every 2-3 days.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to enourage her to change her mind?
Off the top of my head.... When brushing teeth would she suck more water off the toothbrush if it's run under the tap?
Doing more water play outside ie with teapot / cups or watering the garden with the hose? Might be a little young still tho
In the shower dh and dd play a game where they poke out their tongue under the water and it tickles and they laugh thinking its a great joke. Showers in general could help as with the water running over her face she's bound to take some in?
Plain iceblocks just made with water?
To avoid dehydration in the baby's body you must take it very seriously. For the time being, you can use a dropper which is used to take syrup (medicines). Fill 2,3 droppers and feed the baby with it. Also, make it sure that the quality of your tap water is good. No bad taste or smell must be there.
Sign in to follow this topic