Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. baby led weaning - what is your experience?

baby led weaning - what is your experience? Lock Rss

Hi everyone i have a breastfed 5 month old baby girl and have been thinking about starting solids soon. I have offered her pureed pumpkin, kumera, pear and apple in small amounts in the last few weeks but she does not seem at all interested yet so i havent persisted. I am thinking about waiting until she is 6 months or older and go straight onto baby led weaning. What are other peoples experiences with this? any food ideas would be most helpful too. thank you so much for your help, this is such a big learning curve! Also to note, we are doing free movement with her so she is a long way off sitting up unaided although she is able to sit on our knee with great head control but we are not wanting to prop her into a high chair until she has learnt to sit up by herself.

I did this with my son when he turned 6 months. Don't rush into it, wait till 6 months. He is now a fantastic eater, will eat anything!! My daughter on the other hand, I spoon fed her puree food from 6 months and she is the fussiest eater ever- always has been. I honestly believe it has to do with the way I fed them. My daughter being my first I did everything puree and then with my son I read about BLW and gave it a go and it worked.
I started with easy to eat fruit, banana, strawberries, peaches etc and dinner he ate what we had ( it can be a bit messy) initially they don't eat a lot because its more about them getting a feel for different textures but don't worry as you will still be giving milk and remember food before one is just for fun, so its not their main source of nutrition, your milk still is.. she may gag, try not to freak, as this is normal and they can bring the food back up
I did this with my son when he turned 6 months. Don't rush into it, wait till 6 months. He is now a fantastic eater, will eat anything!! My daughter on the other hand, I spoon fed her puree food from 6 months and she is the fussiest eater ever- always has been. I honestly believe it has to do with the way I fed them. My daughter being my first I did everything puree and then with my son I read about BLW and gave it a go and it worked.
I started with easy to eat fruit, banana, strawberries, peaches etc and dinner he ate what we had ( it can be a bit messy) initially they don't eat a lot because its more about them getting a feel for different textures but don't worry as you will still be giving milk and remember food before one is just for fun, so its not their main source of nutrition, your milk still is.. she may gag, try not to freak, as this is normal and they can bring the food back up

thanks so much mummykate, i think im keen to go this way just have to school my husband up on it too so hes on the same page i guess.

If you are going to do baby lead weaning you need to consider putting her in a high chair or car seat or of coarse hold her while she is eating. My boy (now 10 months) has always been very independent so baby lead weaning was the way for him. To start with I gave him the same foods as us minus the salt/flavouring and sauces. He now eats every thing we do. For tougher meats he tends to chew it up in his mouth and then spit it out but I'm thinking he'll still get the juices.

MummyKate said not to worry when they gag. She's right, babies have it built in to bring back food up when they have to, of coarse you wanna hang around incase it gets stuck but just be aware you don't have to jump up in a panic.

Goodluck
I would wait until she is able to sit by herself as she should be concentrating on the food and not on trying to stay upright. You can start at 6 or 7 months, there is no rush as every baby is different. You can check out the blw website, babyledweaning.com for more info on how to get started.
I did blw with both of my kids and they were able to feed themselves really well before the age of 1.
I agree with honeyspider, wait till she can sit up unsupported as that will be much safer smile I found the food my 13 month old found the easiest to eat when I started BLW was banana. It mushes in their mouth easily but they're also able to hold it well. He also loved cheese, peaches, strawberries, and pumpkin. It's easy enough to just give her a bit of whatever you're eating, just make sure it's cooked so that it's soft enough to mush up in her mouth, but not too soft that it'll squish as soon as she tries to pick it up. And be prepared for most of it to end up on the floor smile
Sign in to follow this topic