Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

5 months - ready for solids? Rss

hi

my little girl is 5 months and i am really confused if i should start solids or not.

the clinic say to wait until they are 6 months - but i think she is ready.

she has ezcema and they say starting too early could increase the risk of food allergies.

any thoughts on this???

Nicki''s Mum, NSW

Hi Annette

It is very confusing. When I first started going to the clinic, they said solids at 4 months, then when they did a talk on solids they said 6 months and my peaditrician said 4 months aswell. The clinic used to say aswell it is a taste at 4 months (like a teaspoon a day to get them used to the texture and the idea) then by 6 months they should be having 2-3 solid meals a day. I started my daughter when she was 4 months as she was on the lighter side of weight and I wanted to fatten her up although it hasn't made much difference, she is only 7.3kg at 8 months now. I don't want to suggest what you should do as you mentioned that you daughter has ezcema and having food allergies is why they are now saying 6 months, but saying that I think that rice cereal should be OK, so if you start her on that, maybe with one teaspoon a day and see how she goes. Also I've heard that if you have an allergy to a certain food, you daughter would be more at risk of having an allergy aswell. Good luck with it and make sure you have a camera around when you do first start.

Julie, mum to Abby 05/02/04 & Joel 12/04/07

confusing is not the word.

the clinic says one thing, you have family saying another, you read things etc ... for a first time mum i am so confused!!!

i think if she didnt have ezcema i wouldnt be so worried.

i thought that because she is 5 months, i could try farex and slowly build her up on it, so by 6 months she can have proper food... but i dont know.

there is nothing wrong with her weight (bottlefed) she weighs appox 8 kgs.

might give it a few weeks and see how she goes.

thanks

Nicki''s Mum, NSW

i didnt start my son on solids till 5 months - if your daughter isnt ready she wont take the food anyway and will just stick her tongue out... they say between 4-6 mths depending on when your bub is ready.
Hi Annette,

I was also told to do it btwn 4-6mths, depending on when they seem ready... Just thought I'd add that some of the signs to let you know can include:

*showing interest in or lunging fwd for your food
*has lost the extrusion reflex (stops sticking out tongue when you offer food)
*moves her food bkwd & fwd in her mouth with tongue
*they also say that teething can sometimes be a sign

That's all I can remember off the top of my head...

Hope that helps!

Mel
Hi Annette

Bennett has ezcema too and I was really worried about starting solids. I gave him farex at about 4 mths 1 week and he was just not interested. About 2 weeks later i tried again as that day in a cafe he kept attacking my SIL muffin and he has not looked back since.

With regards to the ezcema I started trying a different food each week rather than every three days just to make sure it didn't effect his skin and would say the veges are better than fruit (thats just us though)

I definately don't think starting at 5 months is too early.

A really good book I found was Baby and Toddler food by Robin Barker I have found it fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and keep us up to date

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

I have just seen in the all about huggies section that they have a special offer for the book I mentioned for $20

what a great deal smile you won't regret it the receiepes are great

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi

My son has had excema also since a few months old and my daughter had a reaction to formula and nobody could tell me why except for one early childhood nurse who seems to know a lot about allergies in early childhood. She also gave me some written information on allergies. It says

-Where possible exclusively breastfeed your infant up to 6 months of age. If not possible or desirable use formula.

- Delay introduction of solids unitl after 6 months.

- Introduce solids slowly beginning with low allergen foods such as rice products, pear, apple, potato, choko, zucchini, chicken and lamb.

The reason for food allergy in the first 12 months is thought to b beacsue of immaturity of a babies digestive tract and immune system.

But i guess if she isn't satisfied with breast milk or formula she may need that little bit extra. There are also a couple of websites mentioned. They are
www.allergy.org.au and www.foodallergy.org

I hope i have been of some help.

Cassie,NSW, Blair 27/9/01, Mackenzie 19/5/04

Sign in to follow this topic