Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Feeding themselves Rss

DD is great with finger food. With other food, I still feed her, although she has her own spoon - which mostly gets waved around. She is at the stage where she wants to put her spoon in the bowl. When I've let her, she slaps it around in the bowl and it makes one hell of a mess.

Anyway, I was thinking that maybe I should pop a spoonful of food into a separate little bowl and give that to her. What do you think? What are other mummies doing out there in terms of encouraging their bubs to use a spoon properly?

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi Kazi!
My DD sounds just like yours!
She loved doing everything for herself. Even though she wasn't putting any food in her mouth she loved throwing it at me or anything else that got in her way!!!!
So we put some in a separate bowl for her, like you said, and she thought it was great!
Another thing we tried is giving her one of our spoons. She started feeding herself off a normal teaspoon. She was copying us but she noticed that our spoons were different but when all our spoons were the same she was happy to feed herself properly!!! Babies are way too clever!!!!
Good luck!
Caree

Caree & Xanthi, 2 1/2 already!

Kazi,

My CHN suggested I give Nina her own little bowl of food and spoon. I have been doing it since she was 12 months. The 1st time was with her b'day cake, and she got the spoon, dipped it in the cake and put it straight to her mouth. I was SO impressed!

Anyway, I still do it now, her own little pot. It does not always go to plan, some days she just chucks her food around...very messy. But most times she quite happily feeds herself a little bit and then I do the rest from my own bowl.

If you have carpet, I suggest you throw a sheet under her high chair, I have yoghurt stains EVERYWHERE.

So, to answer your question, I think it is an excellent idea!
Sign in to follow this topic