Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Cows Milk Lock Rss

Hi All,

My son will be 10 months old at the end of this month and I was wondering when I could start replacing formula with cows milk?, I use cows milk in his cooking and with cereal and he has had no reactions..

Thanks in advance
Alicia

Hi Alicia,

They say not to use cows milk as a primary drink until at least 12 months old, as it does not contain enough iron and minerals for a small bub. It is o.k to use it in cereals and cooking from nine months though.

At 12months you are also suppose to water it down... not sure the exact ratio (maybe 50-50?) for a while. My bubs is one next month so I suppose I better find out.

Hope that helps..
I am usually a stickler for the rules but started DD on cows milk drinks at 11 months. DD was slowly weaning off the boob and I didn't want to mess around with formula. It is recommended not to use cows milk as a formula/breast replacement before 12 months, especially if you have any family history of reactions to dairy. Having said that, in this case I was comforatable going against the recommendations. I started introducing milk into DD's diet through breakfast (cereal) from 9 months so knew she wasn't reacting to it. She was only having about half a sippy cup worth of cows milk during the day until 3 weeks ago when I fully weaned her off the boob and she increased to 1.5 sippy cups full of cows milk a day.

If your bub is going well on formula, then I'd stick it out a couple more months - just to be safe. Continue cooking with milk and offering dairy, thats a good thing to be doing. Maybe as he gets closer to 12 months you can try offering a small cows milk drink during the day to see what he thinks.

What ever you choose, best of luck.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi Alicia I started my daughter on cows milk when she 9 1/2 months old for her cereal in the morning and also for dinner but they say that you should give cows milk when they a over 12 months old but I will Jaye cows milk in her bottle and she loves it and she has no reactions either but maybe you should ask your doctor and just see what they reckon about cows milk?

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic