Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

when for solids? Lock Rss

hi, my baby is a week away from 5 months and fully breast fed. I know we are meant to try to fully feed til 6 months but she is really getting interested in food and has cut 2 teeth. I just if other mothers have started early and what made them start? i am very tempted!

jen, mum to sahra born 28.6.04

Hi Sahras Mum,
My bub is fully breast fed as well and i started her on solids at four months.
Georgia was showing all the signs of wanting to start, watching people eat, trying to get my food, so i started her on Farex.
I think its suggested that you start solids at four months (providing your bubs ready) you can also buy jars of food specially for 4 month olds. but i cook all my own for Georgia.

julia, tas, 8mth baby

The new rules say wait until 6 months. However from a lot of posts that I have seen on this site and others, those that wait until then have a really hard time getting their little ones to eat. If you feel she is ready then slowly start to introduce food. It sounds as if she is ready to start with the interest in food. I started my daughter at 5 months and would not have had it any other way. In fact I would have started it earlier but we were going away for a week (we lived in the UK and were going to Rome - just thought I would gloat!!!) and I didn't want the hassel of food. Just go slowly with introducing foods that contain dairy or wheat and let her tell you when she has had enough or wants new tastes.

Trust in your own judgement and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Cym

Cymantha, NSW, DD 20/12/2003

Mine all started on solids around 14 weeks, basically because theyw anted more than jsut what the forumla was providing for them.

Each baby is different, some are ready to start early, some arn't.

If bub is showing interest in food and wanting to eat, it can hurt to try.

Start with bland foods sucha s farex and so on first smile

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

PS, Just because a text books says something, doesn't mean that its right for your baby. wink

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

Hi Sharon,I agree with you totally.
All babies are so different from each other that books can only be a slight guide to whats good for your baby. wink

julia, tas, 8mth baby

Hi Jen

I started my son on solids at about 5 1/2 months. He was fully breastfed up until then. He was always a slow grower and one nurse suggested I start him on solids at 4 months which I did just with a teaspoon of rice cereal but he got a really bad nappy rash so I held off for a bit longer and when I did start again he was fine. The reasons the latest guidelines say wait until 6 months are because babies digestive systems are not fully developed and they also believe some allergies can be caused by introducing solid foods too early. But they are only guidelines so you need to follow your baby's cues, if she is really showing interest in food maybe it is time to start. It is suggested that when starting solids especially before six months only to introduce low allergenic foods and only one new food at a time for 3-4 days to make sure there is no reaction. The foods that were suggested to me to start with were baby rice cereal, potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, apple and pear as all are low allergenic. It's best to avoid anything containing dairy, egg and wheat for a bit longer. If you need more advice maybe see your child health nurse, they have heaps of info and brochures that will help you get started when you and your baby are ready. I hope this has helped.

All the best
Jasmine
Hi all

Jasmine, I had read exactly the same stuff on allergies and digestive systems.

When I was recently at the paediatrician with my twins, who were a month premature, I mentioned that my boy twin watched me eating all the time. Both of the twins are now formula fed.

The paediatrician said "well, try him on solids at 5 months". I was really surprised by this, as all of the community midwives etc say 6 months like a mantra. I mentioned the six months recommendation, and the paediatrician said "well if they were breastfed, I'd wait until six months, but as they are formula fed, trying them earlier is fine".

Haven't got to the five months yet (they were 16 weeks old yesterday) but I'll give it a go. The boy twin will soon tell me if he's not ready.

Good luck with the feeding, everyone.

Ange, mum of twins born early August 04

Hi.

I started feeding my son solids at 4 months as I was finding his bottle wasn't giving him the total satisfaction he was after.

It's highly suggested that you start your baby on Rice Cereal then slowly introduce a new food however, when you introduce a new food make sure you stick to that one type of food for awhile as giving your baby too many types of food can cause a reaction, allergy or even eczema.

Take Care,

Nae

Naomi, WA ~ DS 5yrs ~ DS 14months

hi everyone,
thanks so much for the feedback! I agree that if you even suggest solids before 6 months the baby health nurses look horrified but they are just guidelines after all. Each baby is so unique and who else but their mother could intuitively know and sense what they are feeling. I may just try the rice cereal slowly and see how i go. Thanks so much for the advice everyone.

jen, mum to sahra born 28.6.04

It is safe to give solids from 4 months. Your baby will let you know if they are not ready anyway.

Goodluck with introducing solids.

Michelle
Sign in to follow this topic