Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. What solid foods do I start my baby on and when? Is it 4 mnths or 6mnths? How can you tell?

What solid foods do I start my baby on and when? Is it 4 mnths or 6mnths? How can you tell? Lock Rss

I am so confused. I am getting a lot of different opinions on when I should start Riley on solids. Can anyone give me some hints and tips of when and what to feed him.

Jem,SA,4mnth baby

Not sure when you should start as each bub is different, I was advised by the CAFHS nurse to start at 5 months, you start with Farex cereal, the directions are on the box, but generally i think its one or two teaspoons mixed with formula, I think I did this for about a week or two until Emma got used to it and starting showing signs that she wanted more, then I started adding pureed fruit to it, then moved on the tea and then a few weeks later lunch.
Hope this helps

Tracy, SA, DD 15/3/04 & TTC #2

Hey there I had this same prob when my girl was 4 months. She was showing signs, by not sleeping thru night when she had, opening up mouth when we would put a spoon to her, and taking a great deal notice in us eating, alongside a couple of other things.

We started her out on (dont no if its available in oz) farex which is baby rice, and in the baby aisle at your supermarket, they will have it and it will state on the pack, what age group it is appropriate for. You can hold off till Riley is 6 months old, but they reccommend not longer than six months, and its up to you, but there is only one way (in my words) as to finding out if he is really ready, and that is to try him. Mckenzie didn't like farex on its own, so we added apple to her farex too.

Start off real slow, and Riley will let ya know wether he's ready or not. but like I say only one way to truely find out.
GOod luck with everything aye!!! it gets easier hahaha

Lots of Love Kel and Mckenzie xoxoxox

Mckenzie Cate 28/7/04 & Lexi Breanne 10/5/07

Hi there,

I introduced solid to my daughter when she was 4.5 months old. She was dribbling a lot and showing interest in food such as mouth open when a spoon comes close to her. I started her on one single taste at a time like mashed avocado or mashed bananas. Gradually I introduced baby cereals ( Heinz blue label) with breast milk or formula milk. You could always try a spoonful of some pureed fruit or veges to start with to see if she is interested, if not you could always wait another week or two or try again in a month time. There is no hurry in starting solid. Leave it with your baby would be the best timing.

Lucy

Lucy, mum to Stephanie-12/11/03

I started James at 5 - 5.5 months and Matilda a week ago when she turned 5 months. I'm doing the Heinz rice cereal (from 4 months same as Farex really) it comes as a powder and you mix with either cool boiled water, breast milk or formula. Most of the time I use water (easiest option as I don't express). And I try her once a day, she's just now starting to get the gist of it. They say 4 -6 months is when to introduce them and I figure starting now she should be into it by 6 months.

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Cool, thanks guys, I have bought a range of different foods to try him on and I will see how I go. Im going to start him at the end of the month as he will be 5mnths then. Will he just start to cut out a bottle a day or just keep going on the bottles and he will still drink as much as he wants?

Jem,SA,4mnth baby

When I started Mckenzie on solids, I still find that she fluctuates with her milk. LIke one day she may have 6 bottles of 180 on top of her 2 solids, and then another day may be as low as 3-4. Depending on how much she eats, and what she feels like. She can be really picky with her bottles aye. The easiest one in the day to give her is her bedtime bottle hahahah go figure!!!!! every other bottle shes too busy nosying around at everything!! but I think I read somewhere as long as they get around 600mls a day. but every baby is diff, just go with the flow, your man will tell you how much and when.

Kel and Mckenzie soxoxoxox

Mckenzie Cate 28/7/04 & Lexi Breanne 10/5/07

Great thanks for your information Kakkles. I will give it a try

Jem,SA,4mnth baby

Hi
I started my girl on heinz rice cerial last week she is 4 months this saturday i only give her a teaspoon at night before her last bottle before she goes to bed she sleeps all night

Shelley, NSW, Breanna 19/11/04, Lachlan 5/01/07

Sign in to follow this topic