Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. how old should you give a baby solids

how old should you give a baby solids Lock Rss

I would like to know what age did you give your baby solids and what did you give them. Is farix a good starter

michelle mum to baby boy rhylan jay

Hi Giblett,

I don't even have a baby yet - just researching as I am planning one soon, but I saw your post and thought I would mention an article I just read about research done at Melbourne Uni on this very subject!!! Apparently babies should not be given any solids before 6mths. Lots of mothers are starting earlier but they are saying this is because they are misinformed (or need to get back to work so can't keep breastfeeding) but research proves that anything other than breastmilk before 6mths can cause gastrointestinal and respiratory problems in the baby. Apparently it can cause lots of allergies etc later in life too. So I guess the short answer is 6mths, based on that.

Hope that helps!
P.S. I'll have to leave it to the 'real' mothers to tell you what you're supposed to feed them since I don't actually know what farix is. Lots to learn! smile
Hi
They do say now to give solids at 6 mths old, but when I had my first baby in 2000 the rule was to give solids at 4 mths but now when I had my 2nd baby in 2004 they then said its now 6 mths, so it gets very confusing for mothers they seem to change it all the time as my own mother was telling me when we were babies solids were introduced at 2 mths old.
I was going to wait for 6 mths with my 2nd child as I felt he really wasn't looking for food, but my doctor told me at a visit when he was 5 mths old to start him then as he said he was well in need of it, so I did start him on the solids at 5 mths, I just started of with the Rice Cereal (farex), did this for about a mth but after about 2 wks added stewed apples into the cereal (this can be you own that you make or a heniz can of puree apple), then then next month I introduced Vegies starting with just pumpkin, then gradually going through Sweet Potato, Potato, carrot, zuccini, brocoli and so on. After he got the taste for vegies and loved them I slowly allowed the tin custards. I made a mistake with my 1st by giving her the tin custards first after the rice cereal and not introducing the vegies till after custards and then she wouldn't eat the vegies, like the sweeter things better.
I have known quite alot of mums that have given their babies solids before 6mths, ie at 4 mths and its never hurt them and it never hurt me as I was given solids at 2mths and so was most other babies in the 70's.
Anyway hope this helps!
Hayley

Ben didn't start solids in any serious way until about 8 months. Breastfed babies can do just fine on breastmilk alone for most of the first year.

Tania, NSW - Mum to 4, Number 5 due Feb 07

i put my girl on solids at 4 1/2 months they say 4 months but closer to six but if milk isnt satisfying your baby well u have to put then on it as long as thety dont go off there milk.

Shelley, NSW, Breanna 19/11/04, Lachlan 5/01/07

thanks for all your advise

michelle mum to baby boy rhylan jay

my little girl just turned 6 months and she started on solids yesterday. I was told by the Paediatrician to start with Farex cereal for breakfast and give mashed potatoes for lunch and dinner. Unfortunately, yesterday the baby threw-up her lunch and dinner. I'm a little lost as to what else I should be giving her at this point in time. She is still being breastfed too. I'm going to try to give her a bottle at night time now before bed so that she gets used to formula too.

DD1 7/11/04, DD2 27/5/08

Hi Prasangi,
I was always advised to give only the rice cereal/farex to babies as their first introduction meal and just give this once a day whether it be morning or night (your choice) and then they continue with their breast feeds or formula feeds. Once they have taken in the cereal quite well usually after a week or 2 you can then introduce something new like a vegie but only 1 at a time to start of as if your baby was to have a reaction to any of the foods you would then know which one they reacted to etc.
Hayley

Thanks Hayley. I might stop the mashed potatoes for a week or 2 and just give her cereal only cos she does like the cereal!!!!!!

DD1 7/11/04, DD2 27/5/08

hi prasangi
id start with farex For every meal until she gets use to solids then bring in the jar food meal by meal coz u will ind that farex wont be filling enough, my girl is on he friut kinda stuff for breaky and vegies and meat ones for lunch and dinner waiting for her to eat a fair amount before i start making my own, but its up to u?

and she has half jar each meal and wheening down to 3 bottle she will be six months next thursday

Sign in to follow this topic