Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Santa Lock Rss

Just going off the other Xmas gifts thread, do you encourage your kids to believe on Santa Claus? Do you prefer them not to? Have you told your kids there is no Santa? Why/why not?
My children believe in santa, and yes I have encouraged it, just like I have encouraged them to believe in fairies and ghosts and other such things that people may or may not believe in. For us the magic is year round, and related to every day life rather than only christmas. When my children ask me if santa is real, which happened last year, I didn't lie; rather, I asked my own question, "What makes you think there might not be a santa?" I leave them to ponder that question and they can make up their own minds. At this stage, they all still believe in santa. For us, every day is about family, not just christmas; christmas is a time when there is a little extra something special in the air, and I truly enjoy it, but when my children are ready to believe there is no santa, I will not force them to believe there is. And when they stop believing, christmas will still be special, as it was for me when I was a child and stopped believing.

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

Oh yeah we love to encourage to believe in Santa and all the magic! Last year we sprinkled magic reindeer dust on the lawn so they could find their way to our house on Christmas Eve before we went off looking at Christmas lights grin

Frenchkiwichick wrote:
DS is only 2 and we will not tell him about or let anyone make him believe in Santa.
It's just a commercial made up character.
Christmas for us is about being your family and gift giving is to show people you appreciate them.
I grew up believing in Santa and now that I have my own family and have stopped that I still get excited about Christmas. I just think it's stupid and I know it's fun for a kid to believe in magic and all that but that's what books, shows, imagination and all that is for.

actually its not commercial made up crap. it originated from St. Nicholas lived in south-western Turkey in the 4th century. As the bishop of Myra he was credited with doing a number of miracles involving sailors and children. After his death this led him to become the patron saint of both groups as well as for unmarried girls. As a saint he was given his own "feast day" that was celebrated on December 6th.

At about the same time Nicholas lived, Pope Julius I decided to establish a date for the celebration of the birth of Jesus. As the actual time of year for this event was unknown, the Pope decided to assign the holiday to December 25th. There had long been a pagan midwinter festival at this time of year and the Pope hoped to use the holiday to Christianise the celebrations. Eventually, Saint Nicholas's feast day also became associated with December 25th and his connection with Christmas was established

I agree the whole gift giving is a little overboard and that's the bit that I don't like, so I try to not go overboard with that.

it my be stupid to you but a lot of people don't think it is, so maybe don't go around saying it is stupid. that's fine if you don't want to believe it smile

oh, and yes, we are a santa house hold and as the kids get older I explain the story behind it.

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

SunMoonStars wrote:
Frenchkiwichick wrote:
DS is only 2 and we will not tell him about or let anyone make him believe in Santa.
It's just a commercial made up character.
Christmas for us is about being your family and gift giving is to show people you appreciate them.
I grew up believing in Santa and now that I have my own family and have stopped that I still get excited about Christmas. I just think it's stupid and I know it's fun for a kid to believe in magic and all that but that's what books, shows, imagination and all that is for.

actually its not commercial made up crap. it originated from St. Nicholas lived in south-western Turkey in the 4th century. As the bishop of Myra he was credited with doing a number of miracles involving sailors and children. After his death this led him to become the patron saint of both groups as well as for unmarried girls. As a saint he was given his own "feast day" that was celebrated on December 6th.

At about the same time Nicholas lived, Pope Julius I decided to establish a date for the celebration of the birth of Jesus. As the actual time of year for this event was unknown, the Pope decided to assign the holiday to December 25th. There had long been a pagan midwinter festival at this time of year and the Pope hoped to use the holiday to Christianise the celebrations. Eventually, Saint Nicholas's feast day also became associated with December 25th and his connection with Christmas was established

I agree the whole gift giving is a little overboard and that's the bit that I don't like, so I try to not go overboard with that.

it my be stupid to you but a lot of people don't think it is, so maybe don't go around saying it is stupid. that's fine if you don't want to believe it smile

oh, and yes, we are a santa house hold and as the kids get older I explain the story behind it.

I will also explain this story to my children. We don't go overboard with gifts - we don't have enough money for that, plus in general my children don't need things, and I don't like to oversupply them with things. What is special about christmas for us is the whole spirit of it, the activities that we do, the trips we go on as a family, and the tv shows - we all love christmas tv episodes!

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

Another Santa fan over here. I just love the fun of it. My son is 11 now and I don't even know if he still believes but I suspect he doesn't want to run the risk of not believing, just in case grin

Growing up we always got some small things in a stocking and one large gift from Santa. It was so exciting. One year I wrote Santa a note and he left a letter in reply, he wrote in red fountain pen and even left a reindeer print on the letter also in red ink. It was so special to me and is a great memory I have. Even if Santa did have suspiciously similar handwriting to my Dad I am sure that's just a coincidence...

Makes sense to not have the biggest gift as being from Santa though. I always loved this line...

We are def a Santa household. DD is only 2.5 but she has picked up on the Santa thing from somewhere - too smart for her own good! Haha we've explained to her that Santa and his reindeer come at Christmas and that he brings little gifts to good boys and girls. She then said mummy and daddy too? When she was told no, the reply was - oh man, that's not very good! I wish Santa would bring mummy presents grin

We will also do the carrot, cookie and glass of milk out for Santa and his reindeer, putting the Santa sacks out etc. this is stuff that I grew up with so good to carry on the tradition. My brother used to make mum and dad leave the fireplace door open so Santa wouldn't get trapped and he could get inside!

Will try not too go overboard with gifts as always remember mum and dad seeing half the stuff they got us going on sale in a major way on Boxing Day. When we were older, we would get gifts for each other, then get money to buy stuff in the sales. Think we will go down this route too, but will probably do it sooner rather than later smile if and when DD asks if Santa is real, we'll tell her, but if her soon to be sister still believes then she will need to keep her mouth zipped!
My kids can believe whatever they want to believe in. If we see "santas" in shops or in movies, if they ask if its the real one we tell them that it is a person in costume. If they ask if he is real, we say if you believe in him then yes. Same answer for fairies etc. We put food out for santa and the reindeers, but we also do the same for fairies through the year. With presents, they are from us however we do one family santa present eg trampoline, board game etc.
My son believes in Santa and I'm sure my daughter will too smile couldn't imagine Christmas without Santa!

there is nothing that could convince me to spoil the magic of Santa, its the same reason why I tell my kids there are fairies in the garden and that I have mummy magic which is why I know things they think I shouldnt.

You are only a child for a small amount of time before the reality of being 'grown up' hits and you stop believing in things. I wouldnt shorten that time for my kids for the world.

Aka G&L smile

Tickled*pink wrote:
OC, we are the same with fairies in this house. I always ask them what they think. Our backyard is covered in glitter from the girls trying to attract fairies to the garden laugh

I just had to reply to this - I absolutely love the idea of a back yard covered in glitter to attract fairies!!!!!!!!!!! gorgeous!!!!!!

As for santa - I haven't made up my mind. But most likely we will be a santa house. kids love it so much i don't think I could deny my DS santa smile
Known as T wrote:
What's your thoughts misskel?

Definitely all for Santa here! And easter bunny, tooth fairy, fairies, elves. All of it!!
This sums it up perfectly for me-

giggle&laugh wrote:
there is nothing that could convince me to spoil the magic of Santa, its the same reason why I tell my kids there are fairies in the garden and that I have mummy magic which is why I know things they think I shouldnt.

You are only a child for a small amount of time before the reality of being 'grown up' hits and you stop believing in things. I wouldnt shorten that time for my kids for the world.

My kids will also know the religious side to Christmas and what it's all about in that regard. When they ask the truth of course I will tell them. But until then the magic lives on smile
Sign in to follow this topic