Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby & Dad
  5. He said Dad first :-(

He said Dad first :-( Lock Rss

Hey
Im kinda upset, my baby is 7 months old and just started saying dad..... Wen i try to get him to say mum he just says dad. This is so disheartening. My hubby spends a lot of time with him and Kaleb totally adores him. I know it sounds stupid but im jealous. Pls tell me im not alone here!!!

Baby Kaleb 1 years old

Hi Tweetypie4. I'm sure it's natural to be jealous but you know that doesn't mean he loves you less. Maybe it's easier to say?? I know a little girl, she's 2 and she calls everyone dad!

It's great that your boy is such an early talker, smart cookie!

Charlie girl 15/01/06 & Dean the Machine 22/08/09

hi there,
my daughters first word was dadda and i was the 1 who spent all the time with and she said it when bub and me were away on hols for nine wks and also i was only teaching her to say mumma at the time then her second word was nanna wasnt until her third word that it was mumma, so dont dispair about it darl the last thing your darlinboy would want is 4 you to be jelous, i know it is natural to be but there are so many other milestones in sons life that your hubby may miss out on ie:first steps, i got to witness these and we had to show dad when he got home. your not doing anything wrong and im sure a fantastic job.

steph n alexis 20mths and pregnant with 2nd bub

Hi!

Most babies say dad or dada or something with "hard" sounds in it first - they are easier sounds for babies to consciously form when they first start to use speech intentionally, rather than just burbling and playing with sounds. Totally normal development, disheartening though it may be!

A lot of mums (myself included) also notice their babies say "mum mum mum" more when they're upset and grizzly - probably because it sounds a bit like a grumbly moan, and suits their mood!

It really doesn't mean that your bub prefers daddy, it's just an easier word for him to say on purpose at this stage. I think most of us have this problem - my advice is to make the most of it - say to hubby, "Kaleb wants you darling, I guess you'd better change his nappy!" tongue

This new forum is strange ...

Hi tweeetypie 4 its normal to be jelous when our darling babys say daddy first when they should really say mum first and I was jelous when Jaye took her first steps to her dad instead of me so I know how you feel and its normal to feel abit leave out.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Hi, I have been told that most babies say dad before mum as it is an easier work for them to pronounce. please worry too much, he'll be staying mum before you know it!

Laura, NSW, Joshua 28/6/05, Jackson 8/7/07

Still not saying mum but he is now doing this cute little thing where if he has had enough of playing on the floor he tugs at my leg and puts his arms up for me to pick him up. He doesnt do this to anybody else so now i too feel special.....lol

Baby Kaleb 1 years old

Hi
I was lucky my son said mumma first although as soon as he learnt dadda mum went out the window unless he was upset so dont feel bad. Just remember its much easier for them to say dad then it is to say mum.

Amy 20 and Braydon (27.09.2005)

Sign in to follow this topic