Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Baby health nurse. not always right

Baby health nurse. not always right Lock Rss

Just thought i would share something that annoyed me.

i was having problems with my son refusing the breast. I asked the baby health nurse at my local baby clinic and she just replied how long do you want to breastfeed for. i told her as long as i possible could but was happy to put him on the bottle if that was what he needed. she told me he is now 4 months old i had feed him long enough and to put him on formula. I just thought HOW RUDE.
I bought some forumla and had on bottle steralised just incase but decided to continue trying him on the breast. After just one weeks my son is feeding happily at the breast again. overall this health nurse made me feel like a fool for asking some of the questions i asked.

I thought the nurse was there to help you not to decide things were too hard and tell you to give up. I am a first time mum and often realy on these nurses for advice but this time i am glad i went with what i felt right for me and my son.

Just to add most nurses are great i have found most of the addvice usefull.

mum to ryan 10-05-05

Sadly - in a lot of cases these women don't have kids of their own.
hi
That is strange she said that after all the publicity on "breast is best" and all that stuff but good on you for doing what you feel is right.

I think we all need to listen to their advice but remember that we know our babies better then anyone and we need to do what we feel is right for our children wether the nurses think its right or not.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

There are good and not so good clinic nurses out there and I have dealt with both.

I stopped breast feeding at four weeks because it was painful, it was so much work and I was always in tears because I thought I was doing something terribly wrong. I wasn't, I just have small nipples making it difficult to breast feed. Once I had my daughter on the bottle she fed easily and quickly, she slept better, I slept better and was in a better mood.

The first clinic nurse I saw basically said to me that I should breast feed util at least 12 months and that I was a bad mother if I didn't.

The second could see that I had a healthy baby and that I was happy and that was all that mattered.

I take everything that the clinic nurses say with a pinch of salt.

Sonia,NSW,12mth old

I had the opposite Tanya23!

My nurse kept pushing me to breastfeed and my son only weeks old almost ended up in hospital from losing way too much weight! I went to a different child health nurse and she took one look at me trying breastfeed and saw my son wouldn't latch on and told me to buy a bottle and formula and start feeding my poor starved boy...so I did! He gulped down that formula like there was no tomorrow and gained back all the weight he had lost in 1 week!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Sign in to follow this topic