Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. What foods affect your baby whilst breastfeeding

What foods affect your baby whilst breastfeeding Lock Rss

Hi, my daughter is now 2 mths old and I am still happily breastfeeding however I have found that she becomes very windy (resulting in a lot of crying) when I have eaten foods with onion, garlic, tomato and apples in them. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and whether your baby got better accepting these foods when they got older. I have been avoiding all foods with these foods in and have ended up making a lot of homemade stir fries! Everything has onion & garlic in them, even cheese flavoured crisps! What other foods have affected your baby when breastfeeding and how did you overcome it, other than not eating them! Just wondering.....?

Sophie's Mummy

Hi
i found when breastfeeding that, onion, garlic, cabbage upset my little boy. & there was nothing i could do other than not eat itz!
sorry i couldn't b much help.

jodi
Hi Sadie,
My bub is now 10 mths but she was very colicky too and I found that eating anything in large quantities affected her (eg, a big bunch of grapes) but also eggs and beans/legumes did it too.
I struggled for ages to find something natural to help her (went to homepath, etc) but in the end the only thing that helped was Infacol Infant Wind Drops (from the chemist, about $10) - it is also quite harmless and mild and tastes yum and you just give a bit from the dropper before breastfeeds. I highly recommend it and I wish that I hadn't wasted weeks at the homeopath when I could have helped her sooner. Also try feeding lying down (or leaning back) in case bub is feeding too quickly as this slows the flow and hopefully less air will go in. After a couple of months I didn't need to use it anymore as she was older and her system had adjusted.
I think from about 6mths I stopped worrying about what I ate (apart from alcohol and peanuts) and I'm still breastfeeding now with no problems. But yesterday she bit my nipple - ouch!!!!!
Anyway, I know this is long but I just want to say that 3 months seems like forever to put up with a miserable bub - but then they change so fast that in a few months you'll probably forget she even had wind problems as there will be other things you are trying to figure out like what solids are making her constipated! Hehe!
Good luck and i hope your bubby is happier soon!

Sherri, mum to Ella Bella Baby Bear ~ 21.01.05

My DD got colic quite bad when younger. We narrowed it down to diary - but I also stayed off the 'farty' type foods such as beans, cauli and cabbage. I would try a little bit every now and then. She is pretty good with most of it now as long as I don't go over board.

I'm tracking our diets and her sleep due to possible food sensitivity which is interesting. It could be co-incidence, but she has tummy pain at night when I have egg. I wish I had of kept a basic diary of this stuff when she was little as it has really helping me get her diet and sleeping sorted.

I've been told a lot that as their 'guts' mature they should be able to tollerate more foods. I'm hoping this is the case and its not allergies.

Best of luck !

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

I found the only thing that affected my girl was juice. That was the only thing and if I had a drink of any type I would be sure my bub would get bad wind pains after her feed! Stragely cabbage, onion etc didn't effect her at all!!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Sign in to follow this topic