Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Water when breast feeding - your thoughts !

Water when breast feeding - your thoughts ! Lock Rss

I was curious what your thoughts are on giving bubs water when breast feeding. There doesn't seem to be much of a guide on other fluids, how much, when etc.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi. I think you should give your bubby water sometimes especially in hot weather. I do bottle fed but I know my baby gets thristy inbetween bottles and his lips do get dry in hot weather. He wont drink plain water so I give him a little bit of sugar in it!! Hope this helps!!

Tracey,NSW

Hi!
There is so much conflicting info on this topic. The breastfeeding association says no but my doctor said water is essential ! In this hot weather i have been offering water to my 4 month old DD about every half hour between feeds and she loves it because i'm sure i remember being told that the more a baby sucks at the breast the creamier the milk gets, so what if they are thirsty not hungry? I don't see any harm in what i'm doing, she is a thriving baby!

Melissa, NSW, 14 month old bubs

There is conflicting advice on this one. My 5 myh old boy is exclusively breastfed and I am thinking about water too. The Australian Breastfeeding Association say its ok to give water but not to overfil them on it. I am just allowing my baby to top up on breastmilk for now. Its easier and much more convenient. He doesn't seem to mind a bit.
Good luck and do what is best for you and your bubs.
Sharon

mumto2

Hi there Kazi and other mums

I've been told if you are breastfeeding, your baby doesn't need other fluids. Our child health nurse told me that in hot weather your milk adjusts so your baby gets more water and that's why breastfed babies supposedly don't need extra water. I think though that after 6 months when they are on solids it doesn't hurt to give them some water - I give my 8 1/2 month old daughter water on hot days, in fact we are about to go out and I've just put some water in a cup for her for later. As long as it doesn't interfere with their milk intake I don't think it's really a problem. I've never seen a baby guzzle down copious amounts of water - they usually just have a few sips. Personally I wouldn't give a newborn breastfed baby extra water though - I think it's better to give them extra breastfeeds, just my opinion though. I think formula fed babies are a different story though and they probably do need extra water on hot days.
Sign in to follow this topic