Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Breastfeeding Myths and dealing with unwanted advice

Breastfeeding Myths and dealing with unwanted advice Lock Rss

I always hear...' my milk wasn't a good quality for the baby'???? and i always get comments along the lines of 'aren't you giving your baby anything else, why don't you feed him something??' - like my 9kg 4 month old needs anything else. I always ask ' like what do you suggest' - there is usually no response to that one.
Hi Ladies,

Sorry for crashing your thread! I agree totally with everyone. There is NOT enough info out there for first time mother's.
I had a very traumatic birth (22hrs), me and DS both got very sick and he was sent to special care for 3 days. I didnt get to bond with him straight away and that really upset me. The thing is, i had this whole "perfect" labour and birth in my head and it just wasnt meant to be. When i was all better to go up and see DS i asked the nurse if she could show me how to feed my son as it was my first time, she turned around and said "oh love, you dont need to worry about that, we gave him some formula" OMG why wasnt i informed? i was so angry and i think this had a big part in me not being able to BF my son. Because of this and because i was sick, my milk had dried up and i wasnt producing enough. Once we got home and started DS on formula, i was talking to someone and they asked why they didnt ask me to express at the hossy!?!?! Being a first time mum, having a terrible labour, and me and my baby both being sick, i think i should of been informed on the choices i had before they went ahead and did anything.
I know wrong section etc, but when the time comes for me to have another baby, is there any advice any of you lovely strong bobbie machines wanna share with me, so next time i can be successful? Me not BF my DS is not because i cant, or its too hard etc it was just because i was a naive first timer, with no information and i am angry at myself everyday for that. Sorry i have no myths for you lol Just want some advice, coz when i have another bub (in about 10 months time i think ill try) i want to be strong and do the right thing by my baby and give him/her the best start in life and that is to BF!!!
Thanks Ladies

Jade
I am into my fourth month of bf my first bub and so far I have had much mythical advice, the most common being:
* I should drink more milk in order to make more breastmilk
* That me eating anything but the blandest of food will make my milk taste bad to bubs and/or give him wind.

[Edited on 13/08/2008]
What about...
*If your boobs arent rock hard there isn't enough milk.

I started with quite large boobs and they have never been really full to the point of squirting everywhere, even in a hot shower. My very healthy, never had a drop of formula, 10 month old daughter consistantly is above the 97th% for weight and length.

*You have to give up breastfeeding if you go back to work

Went back to work as a teacher when my princess was 3 months old. I expressed while I was at work to send to childcare the next day. Yes its hard work but I truly believe its the best thing for her.

Sorry to be all high and mighty about the breastfeeding but I really feel like people dont give enough credit to breastfeeding mothers. It is what nature intended!
I had a very traumatic birth (22hrs), me and DS both got very sick and he was sent to special care for 3 days. I didnt get to bond with him straight away and that really upset me. The thing is, i had this whole "perfect" labour and birth in my head and it just wasnt meant to be. When i was all better to go up and see DS i asked the nurse if she could show me how to feed my son as it was my first time, she turned around and said "oh love, you dont need to worry about that, we gave him some formula" OMG why wasnt i informed? i was so angry and i think this had a big part in me not being able to BF my son. Because of this and because i was sick, my milk had dried up and i wasnt producing enough. Once we got home and started DS on formula, i was talking to someone and they asked why they didnt ask me to express at the hossy!?!?! Being a first time mum, having a terrible labour, and me and my baby both being sick, i think i should of been informed on the choices i had before they went ahead and did anything.

Sorry for crashing this thread too, but wanted to reply to this post.

I was in a similar siutation to you too. I had a very difficult 27 hour labour and my son had to go to the NICU for 5 days as he had a hole in his lung (pnuemothorax). I was very very keen on breastfeeding. I joined the ABA, went to their seminar, bought breastfeeding pillow, fancy chair, special bf tops, watched videos, read lots of literature. It never occurred to me that I would ever bottle feed. My hospital was partly good. They helped me express my colustrum every 3 hours (he couldn't feed at all for 3 days) so I just kept expressing. When my milk came in, I used the pump to express and was doing this every 3 hours to try and keep up with NICU's requirements. They eventually fed him my colustrum after 3 days through a tube. However it was so stressful trying to keep up with the supply because if I didn't, they told me he would have to be fed formula (They dind't want him losing weight in NICU). I'm proud to say that I just managed to keep up. On the 4th morning I finally got a chance to hold him and breastfeed him. Unfoutunatly for us, I had no-one to show me how to do it. We had trouble with the attachment. They kept paging the lactation consultant but there was only one for the whole hospital and when she finally saw me, she just gave me a video to watch (one I'd already seen). Midwives told me he was attached correctly but it was excrutiating. We got home from hospital and I perservered for 4 weeks. I tried everthing to make it work. I hired a pump but that ended up causing more problems in the end. I got mastitis and dreaded feeding my son. Everytime the CHN nurse came she said he was attached correctly - so why was it toe curling excrutiating? My son never slept and sooo unsettled (ended we up in Tresillian). I am afraid to say that I gave up. I was gutted and felt so so guily and mourned every day that I wasn't breastfeeding him. I felt I had failed him and failed as a mother. I went on to develop PND.

I never considered ever having problems with breastfeeding. I thought that I could work through the pain - but I couldn't. I know of some who continued to perservere with pain and it got better as time went on.

22 months later - I still feel bad but I had to do what was right for my mental health and ultimately my son. I know many might disagree or look down on me, but I had to do what I had to do to get through life at the time.

If I have another baby, I will definately try to breastfeed again. This time I will try to find a lactation consultant that I can call upon if i need help. I did try calling the ABA volunteers for advice and whilst they were very kind and supportive, they weren't able to help me get the attachment right. I felt I needed someone with me at each feed to help me.

Anyway, so sorry for the long post but that's my experience.
BUMP!!!!

I haven't read through this whole thread so apologize in advance if i am posting something that has already been posted.

I had to do a topic meeting for ABA on this and it was a huge topic my favourtie myth would have to be that men CAN'T breastfeed because they actually can <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

i found this website really good and has 3 articles on breastfeeding myths <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/mythjn01.htm

heaps and heaps of myths on there <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span> enjoy it will take you a week to get through them <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/mythjn02.htm

http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/mytthjn04.htm

http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/mythjn03.htm

Wear your baby out!!!

Just bumping again in case some ladies might want a look. smile]

Christina

how about bf ruins your boobs and makes them sag.
Or my personal favourite (got this from MIL who is a nurse and ought to know better) if you keep bf past a year you'll turn him gay
WOW...long time since anyone has seen this, but thought as it is so informative that it could do with a bump. smile]

Christina

Thanks Christina, I really enjoyed this smile
Glad you enjoyed it.

Just seen lots of posts here lately about issues and thought it could do with a reappearance. I might put a link to this in the newborn section too; they might need it more than some of the "experienced" feeders do. smile]

Sign in to follow this topic