Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Undecided about when to stop breastfeeding

Undecided about when to stop breastfeeding Rss

Hi Huggies Mums

I am fairly new to this forum and find that the posts are a wealth of information!!

Thought you might be able to help me with this one...

I have a 7 month old girl and am currently breastfeeding. She has 5 breastfeeds per day and 3 solid meals.
My husband and I would like to try for another baby in the next 2-3 months but I have been told that you should stop breastfeeding as it can put a huge strain on your body when pregnant too. Does anyone know much about this?
I have been ovulating since 7 weeks after bubs was born so I know I could get pregnant without stopping breastfeeding.
I am of the mind that I wouldn't mind stopping breastfeeding soon however I just can't seem to bring myself to actually start. I feel very attached to it if you know what I mean.
Can anyone give me advice on what age they stopped and how they went about stopping.
Also did anyone have similar feelings to me when they made this decision. It seems silly to feel this way but I can't help it!!

Thanks everyone

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi Kristi,
Why not go until Ashlee's 12 months then you can put her strait onto cows milk without having to buy formula which can get quite expensive. I have a son 2 weeks younger than your bub and I'm hoping to feed him until he's 12 months old. If you do want to stop don't go cold turkey as my friend did this and she found it very uncomfortable for about a week until her milk dried up. One of the mothers at my mothers group has gradually been exchanging a breast feed for a bottle for about the past 4 weeks and he's just gone full time onto the bottle and she hasn't had the uncomfortable fullness.
Hope this helps.
Kristy

member since 2004

This post has been edited by the moderator.
Hi Kristi

I was facing the same dilemma recently. My son is now 10 months old and I'm still breastfeeding him 5 times per day. We also want to start trying to conceive again. I too thought that you couldn't breastfeed while pregnant but I spoke with a couple of the nurses at our baby clinic, and also had advice from some of the mums on this site and now know it's perfectly OK to breastfeed while pregnant. I wish I had known this earlier as we would have already started trying to conceive again but we are going away at Christmas and I don't want to be too far along so we'll have to wait a couple of months now just in case we're successful straight away (here's hoping smile ). I always planned on breastfeeding my son until he was 12 months old, but now that his birthday is just around the corner and he's still having 5 bf everyday I know it will be longer - which doesn't bother me at all. I'm just going to see how we go for the time being. One of the nurses told me that some babies start to wean themselves when their mother becomes pregnant as the taste of the milk changes, then again some are happy to continue.

Don't feel silly - it's natural to feel attached to breastfeeding your baby, I feel exactly the same way. I don't want to rush my son to wean, I know I'd feel terrible if I did especially if I didn't fall pregnant straight away - it would feel like such a waste when things are working really well for us, especially knowing that you can be pregnant and breastfeed. I would suggest talking to your child health nurse and also check out the breastfeeding association site. Sorry this is so long-winded, I didn't intend for it to be smile

Hope this helps
Jasmine
My daughter's god mother has a baby who is 15 months old, and another one due in september. She is still feeding her 15 month old, although it's only a 5 minute night feed now. The baby is growing well. A lady at my ABA group has 3 year old twins and a 7 wk old baby and is feeding all of them. she never stopped feeding the twins. It's entirely up to you when to stop but i would say keep going for now, at least until 12 months

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Sign in to follow this topic